Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
James D. Bissell to Marlon Brando
Maurice G. Bley Biography (1910-)
Surname pronounced "bly"; full name Maurice George Bley; born December 7, 1910, in Hamburg, NY; son of Lawrence Henry (an architect) and Matilda Anna (Schummer) Bley; married Anna Kowalska (a concert pianist), December 14, 1942. Addresses: HOME--140 South Lake St., Hamburg, NY 14075.
Maurice Bley told CTFT that he was honored at a testimonial dinner in celebration of the twentieth anniversary of his founding of the Hamburg Little Theatre in Buffalo. He was the only director for the first twelve years of the theatre.
- Birth Details
- December 7, 1910
- Hamburg, New York, United States
- STAGE DEBUT--Uncle, The Youngest, Hamburg High School Theatre, NY, 1928.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE APPEARANCES
- Mulatto, The Night of January 16th, Erlanger Theatre, Buffalo, during the1930s.
- Jay, Post Road, Studio Theatre, Buffalo, 1935.
- Epihodov, The Cherry Orchard, John Shaw, The Great Adventure, Kimo, Petticoat Fever, waiter, The Good Fairy, Roger Crosby, The Cat and the Canary, andBennie Fox, June Moon, all Studio Theatre, 1936.
- Counsel, Libel, Walter Havan, Another Language, Burleigh, Milky Way, theman, Noah, and Reverend Alex Mill, Candida, all Studio Theatre, 1937.
- Waiter, Candlelight, Aiken, Excursion, Jeeter Fry, Green Grow the Lilacs,Erwin, Three Men on a Horse, and Leo Davis, Room Service, all Studio Theatre, 1938.
- Prefect, Right You Are, Studio Theatre, 1939.
- Grant Bottome, Brother Rat, George Kent, Up Pops the Devil, and Bennie Fox, June Moon, all Roadside Theatre, 1939.
- The Play's the Thing, Studio Theatre, 1940.
- Austin Love, The Second Man, Walter Manners, When Ladies Meet, and Roosevelt, Knickerbocker Holiday, all Studio Theatre, 1941.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE WORK; MUSICAL RESEARCHER AND ACCOMPANIST
- Ten Nights in a Barroom, Studio Theatre, 1936.
- Maria Marten, Studio Theatre, 1937.
- Sweeney Todd, Studio Theatre, 1938.
- Hawkshaw, Studio Theatre, 1940.
- DIRECTOR AND PRODUCER AT HAMBURG LITTLE THEATRE, HAMBURG,NY Years Ago andAdam and Eva, both 1949.
- Mr. Pim, Milky Way, Laura, and One Night in Bethlehem, all 1950.
- Big Hearted Herbert, Christopher Bean, Post Road, and The Christmas Story, all 1951.
- Parlor Story, The Happiest Years, and First Lady, all 1952.
- Good Housekeeping, But Not Goodbye, and Ladies in Retirement, all 1953.
- January Thaw, Papa Is All, and The Curious Savage, all 1954.
- Great Big Doorstop and The Cat and the Canary, both 1955.
- Goodbye My Fancy, Late Love, and Silver Whistle, all 1956.
- The Little Foxes, Blithe Spirit, and Jenny Kissed Me, all 1958.
- Anastasia and Time out for Ginger, both 1959.
- Mr. Barry's Etchings, 1960.
- All for Mary, 1961.
- White Sheep of the Family, 1962.
- Also designed for sets for Mr. Barry's Etchings, All for Mary, and WhiteSheep of the Family.
Other articles you might like: