Buffy Sainte-Marie Biography (1941-)
Real name, Beverly Sainte-Marie; born February 20, 1941 (some sources say 1942), on the Piapot Reserve, Craven, Saskatchewan, Canada; adopted daughter ofAlbert C. and Winifred Kendrick Sainte- Marie; married Dewain Kamaikalani Bugbee; children: Dakota Wolfchild Starblanket. Addresses: Office--c/o Institute of American Indian Arts, P.O. Box 20007, Santa Fe, NM 87504.
- Canadian, Indian
- Birth Details
- February 20, 1941
- Piapot Reserve, Craven, Saskatchewan, Canada
- Credits; Television Appearances
- Iroquois Clan mother/matriarch, The Broken Chain (movie), TNT, 1992.
- Also appeared in The Virginian (episodic), NBC; narrator, Broken Arrow (documentary); Sesame Street (episodic), PBS.
- Credits; Albums
- It's My Way, Vanguard, 1964.
- Little Wheel Spin and Spin, Vanguard, 1966.
- I'm Gonna Be a Country Girl Again, Vanguard, 1968.
- Fire and Fleet and Candlelight, Vanguard, c. 1970.
- She Used to Want to Be a Ballerina, Vanguard, 1971.
- Moonshot, Vanguard, 1973.
- Native Northamerican Child, Vanguard, c. 1973.
- The Best of Buffy Sainte-Marie, Vol. 1, Vanguard, c. 1974.
- The Best of Buffy Sainte-Marie, Vol. 2, Vanguard, c. 1974.
- Buffy, MCA, 1974.
- Changing Woman, MCA, 1975.
- Sweet America, ABC, 1976.
- Coincidence and Likely Stories, Ensign/EMI, 1993.
- Up Where We Belong, EMI, 1996.
- Stripper (film score), 1985.
- Also a prolific songwriter, best known for her protest and love songs; wrote such songs as "Up Where We Belong," 1982; "Until Its Time for You to Go,""The Piney Wood Hills," "I'm Gonna Be a Country Girl Again," He's an IndianCowboy in the Rodeo," "Universal Soldier," "Now that the Buffalo's Gone," and"Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee." Songs have been performed by such artists as Janis Joplin, Bobby Darin, Donovan, The Highwaymen, Barbra Streisand, ElvisPresley, Roberta Flack, Neil Diamond, Tracy Chapman, and the Indigo Girls.
- Writings; For Television
- Assisted with script for an episode of The Virginian, NBC.
- Writings; Other Writings
- Wrote Nokomis and the Magic Hat (children's book), 1986. Has also writtenarticles for periodicals such as Akwesasne Notes.
- Contemporary American Indian Leaders, edited by Marion Gridley, Dodd, Mead (New York), 1972.
- Native American Women, edited by Gretchen M. Bataille, Garland (New York), 1993.
- Native North American Almanac, edited by Duane Champagne, Gale (Detroit,MI), 1994.
- Notable Native Americans, edited by Sharon Malinowski, Gale, 1995.
- Vogel, Virgil, This Country Was Ours, Harper and Row (New York), 1972.
- Saturday Review, November 11, 1968.