Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Karim Prince to Brad Renfro
John Reich Biography (1906-)
Full name Johannes Theodor Reich; born September 30, 1906, in Vienna, Austria; son of Leopold (an industrialist) and Martha (a pianist; maiden name, Baxter) Reich; married Karoline Friederike von Kurzweil, October 23, 1932 (died, February 2, 1945); married Karen Ruth Lasker-Lester, July 8, 1957 (died). Addresses: HOME--724 Bohemia Parkway, Sayville, New York, 11782.
- Birth Details
- September 30, 1906
- Vienna, Austria
- FIRST STAGE WORK--Director: Swanwhite, Theatre in Schoenbrunn Castle, Vienna, Austria, 1930.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE WORK
- Assistant director, The Robbers, Burgtheatre, Vienna, Austria, 1931.
- assistant director, The Tempest, Burgtheatre, Vienna, Austria, 1932.
- director, As Husbands Go, Measure for Measure, 1932.
- The Passion Play, Circus Renz, 1933.
- assistant director, Faust I, Salzburg Festival, 1934-35.
- director, Tiger at the Gates, Theatre in der Josefstadt, Vienna, Austria,1936.
- director, The First Legion, Black Limelight, Espionage, Theatre in der Josefstadt, Vienna, Austria, 1937-38.
- Director: The Imaginary Invalid, Brander Matthews Theatre, NY, 1945; TheDream, Berkshire Festival, MA, 1946; Faust I, Equity Library Theatre, NY, 1946; Henry IV, Greenwich Mews, NY, 1947; Hippolytus, Lenox Hill Playhouse, NY,1948; Pirandello's Henry IV, Sea Cliff Summer Theatre, NY, 1950; Mrs. Warren's Profession, Bleecker Street Playhouse, NY, 1950; Trial by Jury, Down in theValley, The Marriage of Figaro, The Magic Flute, Plymouth Opera Festival, Plymouth Rock Center, MA, 1951-52; The Sacred Flame, President, NY, 1952; The Abduction from the Seraglio, Caramoor Festival, Katonah, NY, 1953; Don Giovanni, Plymouth Opera Festival, 1954; The Dream, Brander Matthews, NY, 1957.
- As head of Goodman Memorial Theatre and School of Drama, Chicago, IL: producer, The Merchant of Venice, The Cave Dwellers, Hippolytus, director, Pirandello's Henry IV, producer, The Good Woman of Setzuan, The Inspector General,all 1959-60; producer, The Taming of the Shrew, director, Venus Observed, producer, Royal Gambit, Under Milkwood, Uncle Vanya, On Borrowed Time, all 1960-61; producer and director, Faust, producer, The Lark, My Heart's in the Highlands, Hedda Gabler, The American Dream, director, The Caucasian Chalk Circle, all 1961-62; producer and director, Becket, producer, A Passage to India, director, Christopher C., producer, The Lesson, The Rivals, all 1962-63.
- Producer and director, The Millionairess, producer, The Three Sisters, The Glass Menagerie, King Lear, Mother Courage, director, A Far Country, all 1963-64; producer and director, The Madwoman of Chaillot, producer, Macbeth, The Ballad of the Sad Cafe, Rashomon, The Barrets of Wimpole Street, Anna Karenina, all 1964-65; producer and director, The Cocktail Party, producer, The Winter's Tale, The Pedestrian in the Air, Dylan, The Skin of Our Teeth, Galileo, all 1965-66; producer and directed, Tartuffe, A Dream Play, producer, Marat-Sade, The Eccentricities of a Nightingale, Much Ado About Nothing, Oh What aLovely War! all 1967; producer and director, The Miser, producer, The Balcony, Caesar and Cleopatra, Othello,A Man's a Man, A Flea in Her Ear, all 1967-68.
- Producer and director, The Salzburg Theatre of the World, The Death and Life of Sneaky Fitch, producer, Red Roses for Me, Measure for Measure, Tom Paine, The Recruiting Officer, all 1968-69; producer, Soldiers, You Can't Take It with You, The Tempest, The Basement, The Tea Party, The Man in the Glass Booth, Heartbreak House, all 1969-70; producer, The Threepenny Opera, Twelfth Night, The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail, Marching Song, Poor Bitos, Lady Audley's Secret, all 1970-71; producer, A Place without Doors, Assassination 1865,The Importance of Being Earnest, The Royal Family, The Ruling Class, The Boysfrom Syracuse, all 1971-72.
- Also, producer, Amadeus, Missouri Repertory Theatre, Asolo State Theatre,1983-84.
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION WORK; DIRECTOR
- Documentary series, The Doctor Looks, CBS, 1945.
- The Missus Goes Shopping, CBS, 1945.
- Invalid, CBS, 1946.
- Untitled, CBS, 1946.
- The Shelleys, CBS, 1951.
- Mary Stuart.
- The Great Salzburg Theatre of the World.
- In One Night.
- The Comedy of Words.
- The Imaginary Invalid.
- Enrico IV.
Other articles you might like: