Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Gabrielle Fitzpatrick to Christopher Fulford
Gloria Foster Biography (1936-2001)
Born November 15, 1936, in Chicago, IL; married Clarence Williams III (an actor), November, 1967.
- Birth Details
- November 15, 1936
- Chicago, Illinois, United States
- Death Details
- September 29, 2001
- New York, New York
Credits; STAGE APPEARANCES
- OFF-BROADWAY DEBUT--In White America, Sheridan Square Playhouse, 1963.
- Ruth, A Raisin in the Sun, Regent Theatre, Syracuse, NY, 1961.
- Andromache, The Trojan Women, Murray Theatre, Ravinia, IL, 1965.
- title role, Medea, Martinique Theatre, New York City, 1965-66.
- title role, Yerma, Vivian Beaumont Theatre, New York City, 1966-67.
- Hippolyta and Titania, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Theatre De Lys, New York City, 1967.
- title role, "Sister Son/ji" in Black Visions, New York Shakespeare Festival (NYSF), Public Theater, New York City, 1972.
- Lubov Andreyevna Ranevskaya, The Cherry Orchard, NYSF, Public Theatre, 1973.
- Clytemnestra, Agamemnon, NYSF, Delacorte Theatre, New York City, 1977.
- Volumnia, Coriolanus, NYSF, Public Theatre, then Delacorte Theatre, both1979.
- Mother Courage, Mother Courage and Her Children, NYSF, Public Theatre, 1980.
- Mary Tyrone, Long Day's Journey into Night, Theater at St. Peter's Church, New York City, then Public Theatre, both 1981.
- Molly Hoffenburg, The Forbidden City, NYSF, Public Theatre, 1989.
- Also appeared as an understudy in Purlie Victorious, Cort Theatre, then Longacre Theatre, both New York City, 1961-62; in A Hand Is on the Gate, Longacre Theatre, 1966; A Dream Play, Goodman Theatre, Chicago, IL, 1967; as titlerole, Medea, Oparre, Wingless Victory, and Sabina, The Skin of Our Teeth, all Goodman Theatre; and as Jocasta, Oedipus Rex, Hecuba, The Trojan Women, andVolumnia, Coriolanus, all Court Theatre, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- Ruth, A Raisin in the Sun, U.S. cities, 1962.
Credits; FILM APPEARANCES
- FILM DEBUT--Mrs. Custis, The Cool World, Cinema V, 1963.
- Lee, Nothing But a Man, Cinema V, 1964.
- Mrs. Philpot, The Comedians, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, 1967.
- Sally, The Angel Levine, United Artists, 1970.
- Ivy Revers, Man and Boy, Levitt-Pickman, 1972.
- Medusa, Leonard, Part 6, Columbia, 1987.
- TELEVISION APPEARANCES; MINI-SERIES Camille Bell, The Atlanta Child Murders, CBS, 1985.
- Judith, Top Secret, NBC, 1978.
- Serena, To All My Friends on Shore, CBS, 1972.
- Also appeared in Shakespeare's Women.
Other articles you might like: