Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Peter McEnery to Gene Milford
Roger McGough Biography (1937-)
Born November 9, 1937, in Liverpool, England; son of Roger Francis (a docker)and Mary Agnes (McGarry) McGough; married Thelma Monaghan, 1970 (divorced, 1980); married Hilary Clough, December, 1986; children: (first marriage) Finn,Tom; (second marriage) Matthew, Isabel. Addresses: Agent--Peters, Fraser, and Dunlop, 503 The Chambers, Chelsea Harbour, Lots Rd., London SW10 0XF, England.
- Birth Details
- November 9, 1937
- Liverpool, England
- The Puny Little Life Show, produced in London, 1969, published by Penguin(Harmondsworth, England), 1973.
- Stuff, produced in London, 1970, published in Open Space Plays, edited byCharles Marowitz, Penguin, 1974.
- Golden Nights and Golden Days, Nottingham Playhouse, Nottingham, England,1979.
- Summer with Monika (based on the book), Lyric Hammersmith Theatre, London, 1979.
- The Lifeswappers, Edinburgh Festival, Edinburgh, Scotland, 1980.
- Watchwords, Nottingham Playhouse, 1980.
- All the Trimmings, Lyric Hammersmith Theatre, 1980.
- (With Patten) Behind the Lines (revue), Tricycle Theatre, London, 1982.
- (With Patten) The Mouthtrap, Edinburgh Festival, 1982.
- Lyricist (with William Perry), Wind in the Willows, Washington, DC, 1984,then Nederlander Theatre, New York City, 1985.
- Also author of Birds, Marriages, and Deaths, produced in London, 1964; The Chauffeur-Driven Rolls, produced in Liverpool, England, 1966; The Commission, produced in Liverpool, England, 1967; Zones, produced in Edinburgh, 1969;P.C. Plod, produced in London, 1971; Word Play, produced in London, 1975; Like Father, Like Son, Like, produced in Nottingham, 1980; and A Matter of Chance (dance play; based on a story by Vladimir Nabokov), produced in London andEdinburgh, both 1988.
- Author of the screenplay Plod, 1972.
Writings; Television Plays
- Author of The Lifeswappers, 1976; Kurt, Mungo, B. P., and Me, 1984; FastForward, 1986; and The Elements.
Writings; Television Movies
- Lyricist for Hitler's SS: Portrait in Evil, 1985.
Writings; Radio Plays
- Radio plays include Gruff: A Television Commercial, 1977; Walking the Dog, 1981; The Narrator, 1985; and FX, 1989.
Writings; Children's Books
- Mr. Noselighter, Deutsch (London), 1976.
- The Great Smile Robbery, Kestrel (Harmondsworth), 1982.
- Sky in the Pie (poems), Kestrel, 1983.
- Crocodile Puddles (fiction), Pyramid, 1984.
- The Stowaways, Kestrel, 1986.
- Noah's Ark (poems), Collins, 1986.
- Nailing the Shadow (poems), Viking Kestrel, 1987.
- An Imaginary Menagerie (poems), Viking Kestrel, 1988.
- Helen Highwater: A Shropshire Lass (narrative poem), Viking Kestrel, 1989.
- Counting by Numbers (poems), Viking Kestrel, 1989.
- Pillow Talk (poems), Viking, 1990.
- The Lighthouse that Ran Away (narrative poem), Bodley Head, 1991, Trafalgar, 1992.
- My Dad's a Fire-Eater (fiction), Puffin, 1992.
- Lucky (poems), Viking, 1993.
- Stinkers Ahoy! (fiction), Viking, 1994.
- The Magic Fountain (fiction), Bodley Head, 1995.
- The Kite and Caitlin (fiction), Bodley Head, 1996.
- Author of Another Custard Pie, 1993.
- (With Henri and Patten) The Mersey Sound: Penguin Modern Poets Ten, Penguin, 1967.
- "Frinck," "A Life in the Day of," and "Summer with Monika": Poems (noveland poems), Ballantine (New York), 1967.
- Watchwords (poems), J. Cape (London), 1969, new edition, 1972, MerrimackBook Service (Topsfield, MA), 1979.
- After the Merrymaking (poems), J. Cape, 1971, Merrimack Book Service, 1979.
- Out of Sequence (poems), Turret Books (London), 1973.
- Gig (poems), J. Cape, 1973, Merrimack Book Service, 1979.
- Sporting Relations (poems), Eyre Methuen (London), 1974.
- (Coauthor) Clowns on the Road, Eyre Methuen, 1974.
- In the Glassroom (poems), J. Cape, 1976, Merrimack Book Service, 1979.
- Summer with Monika (poems), revised edition, Deutsch, 1979.
- Holiday on Death Row, J. Cape, 1979.
- (With Michael Rosen) You Tell Me, Kestrel, 1979.
- Unlucky for Some, Turret Books, 1981.
- (Editor and author of introduction) Strictly Private: An Anthology of Poetry, Kestrel, 1981.
- Waving at Trains, J. Cape, 1982.
- (With Henri and Patten) New Volume, Penguin, 1983.
- Melting into the Foreground, Viking, 1986.
- (Editor) The Kingfisher Book of Comic Verse, Kingfisher, 1986.
- Selected Poems, 1967-1987, J. Cape, 1989, published as Blazing Fruit, Penguin, 1990.
- Defying Gravity, Viking, 1992.
- Other books include You at the Back: Selected Poems, Volume III, 1991. Work represented in anthologies, including The Norton Anthology of Modern Poetry, Norton (New York), 1973; and The Oxford Book of Twentieth Century Verse, Oxford University Press (Oxford, England), 1981.
- Dictionary of Literary Biography, Volume 40: Poets of Great Britain andIreland Since 1960, Gale (Detroit, MI), 1985.
- Thurley, Geoffrey, The Ironic Harvest, [London], 1974, pp. 195-197.