Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Frances Patricia Beck to Val Bisoglio
George Benson Biography (1911-1983)
Born January 11, 1911, in Cardiff, South Wales; died June 17, 1983; son of Leslie Bernard Gilpin and Isita Lenora (Waddington) Benson; married Jane Ann Sterndale Bennett (divorced); married Pamela White.
- Birth Details
- January 11, 1911
- Cardiff, Wales
- STAGE DEBUT--Roman soldier, Caesar and Cleopatra, Malvern Festival, U.K.
- LONDON DEBUT--Various roles, Charlot's Masquerade, Cambridge Theatre, 1930.
- NEW YORK DEBUT--Desmond Curry, The Winslow Boy, Empire Theatre, 1947.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE APPEARANCES
- Willie, Wonder Bar, Savoy Theatre, London, 1930.
- George Pelham, Faces, Comedy Theatre, London, 1932.
- Ben and Trapland, Love for Love, Faculty of Arts Theatre, London, 1932.
- Sam Gerridge, Caste, Embassy Theatre, London, 1932.
- Please, Savoy Theatre, London, 1933.
- Courtier, The Golden Toy, Coliseum Theatre, London, 1934.
- Snyde, Mary Read, His Majesty's Theatre, London, 1934.
- Shall We Reverse?, Comedy Theatre, London, 1935.
- Stop--Go!, Vaudeville Theatre, London, 1935.
- King Hildebrand, What a Witch!, 1935.
- The Town Talks, 1936.
- Socrates, No More Peace, Gate Theatre, London, 1936.
- Edward Gill, The Two Bouquets, Ambassadors' Theatre, London, 1936.
- Dromio of Ephesus, The Comedy of Errors, Open Air Theatre, London, 1937.
- Vlas Fillipovich, Distant Point, Gate Theatre, London, 1937.
- Nine Sharp Revue, Little Theatre, London, 1938.
- Gus Michaels, Paradise Lost, Wyndham's Theatre, London, 1938.
- Tony Lumpkin, She Stoops to Conquer, Old Vic Theatre, London, 1939.
- The Little Revue, Little Theatre, London, 1939.
- Diversion, Wyndham's Theatre, London, 1940.
- Better Late, Garrick Theatre, London, 1946.
- Between Ourselves Revue, Playhouse, London, 1946.
- For the Old Vic Company in London, 1949-50 season, played: Costard, Love's Labour's Lost, Bolshinstov, A Month in the Country, Jacques, The Miser, Marcellus and first Gravedigger, Hamlet.Poupart, Music at Midnight, His Majesty's Theatre, London, 1950.
- The Lyric Revue, Lyric Theatre, Hammersmith, then Globe Theatre, London,1951.
- Pasqualino, The Impresario from Smyrna, Arts Theatre, London, 1954.
- Mr. Pooter, The Diary of a Nobody, Arts Theatre, London, 1954.
- Duke of Epping, Jubilee Girl, Victoria Palace, London, 1956.
- Mr. Gilbey, Fanny's First Play, Lyceum Theatre, Edinburgh Festival, Scotland, 1956.
- Sibilot, Nekrassov, Lyceum Theatre, Edinburgh Festival, Scotland, then Royal Court Theatre, London, 1957.
- Magistrate, Lysistrata, Royal Court Theatre, London, 1957.
- Wellington Potts, Caught Napping, Piccadilly Theatre, London, 1959.
- Arthur Groomkirby, One Way Pendulum, Royal Court Theatre, London, 1959, then Criterion Theatre, London, 1960.
- Dr. Crippen, Belle, or the Ballad of Dr. Crippen, Strand Theatre, London,1961.
- Mr. Bolt, August for the People, Edinburgh Festival, Scotland, then RoyalCourt Theatre, London, 1961.
- Boss Mangan, Heartbreak House, Oxford Playhouse, U.K., then Wyndham's Theatre, London, 1961.
- Rupert Tilling, The Tulip Tree, Haymarket Theatre, London, 1962.
- Henry Carter, The Excursion, Ashcroft Theatre, Croydon, 1964.
- Thring, The Man Who Let It Rain, Theatre Royal, Stratford, 1964.
- Earl of Loam, Our Man Crichton, Shaftesbury Theatre, London, 1964.
- Count Bodo, The Marriage of Mr. Mississippi, Hampstead Theatre Club, U.K., 1965.
- Dudley, A Family and a Fortune, Yvonne Arnaud Theatre, Guildford, U.K., 1966.
- Lord Pilco, The Last of Mrs. Cheyney, and Simon, Fred, Reginald, The Adventures of Tom Random, both at Yvonne Arnaud Theatre, Guildford, U.K., 1967.
- Steward, Carpenter, January, Canterbury Tales, Phoenix Theatre, London, 1968-70.
- Justice Shallow, Henry IV, Part II, Gonzalo, The Tempest, and Inquisitor,St. Joan, all at the Mermaid Theatre, London, 1970.
- Dean Judd, Dandy Dick, Birmingham Repertory, U.K., 1972.
- Reverend Harold Davison, The Vicar of Soho, Gardner Centre, Brighton, U.K., 1972.
- Christopher Glowrey, Nightmare Abbey, Arnaud Theatre, Guildford Theatre,U.K., 1972.
- Squire Trelawney, Treasure Island, Mermaid Theatre, London, 1972.
- Polonius, Hamlet, Theatre Royal, Windsor, U.K., 1973.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- Nicholas Hannell and Athene Seylker's Company, Egyptian and Australian cities, 1932-33.
- Nine Sharp, U.K. cities, 1940.
- Desmond Curry, The Winslow Boy, U.S. and Canadian cities, 1948.
- Launcelot Gobbo, Prince of Arragon, The Merchant of Venice, Grumio, The Taming of the Shrew, Pompey, Measure for Measure, all with the Old Vic Company, Australian cities, 1955.
- Dudley, A Family and a Fortune, U.K. cities, 1966.
- Waiter, You Never Can Tell, Cambridge Theatre Company, U.K. cities, 1973.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE WORK; DIRECTOR
- In Town Again, Criterion Theatre, London, 1940.
- Diversion, Wyndham's Theatre, London, 1940.
Credits; PRINCIPAL FILM APPEARANCES
- Keep Fit, 1937.
- The Man in the White Suite, 1951.
- Doctor in the House, 1954.
- Value for Money, Rank, 1957.
- A Home of Your Own, 1965.
Other articles you might like: