Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Holly Fulger to Joanna McClelland Glass
Barbara Bel Geddes Biography (1922-)
Born October 31, 1922, in New York, NY; daughter of Norman and Helen Belle (Sneider) Bel Geddes; married Carl Schreuer, January 24, 1944 (divorced, 1951);married Windsor Lewis, April 15, 1951 (deceased); children: (first marriage)Susan; (second marriage) Betsy. Addresses: OFFICE--c/o Dallas, CBS Television, 7800 Beverly Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90036.
CTFT learned Barbara Bel Geddes designs greeting cards for George Caspari, Inc.
- Birth Details
- October 31, 1922
- New York, New York, United States
- STAGE DEBUT--School for Scandal, Clinton Playhouse, Clinton, CT, 1940.
- NEW YORK DEBUT--Dottie Coburn, Out of the Frying Pan, Windsor Theatre, 1941.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE APPEARANCES
- Cynthia Brown, Little Darling, Biltmore Theatre, NY, 1942.
- Alice, Nine Girls, Longacre Theatre, NY, 1943.
- Wilhelmina, Mrs. January and Mr. X, Belasco Theatre, NY, 1955.
- Genevra Langdon, Deep Are the Roots, Fulton Theatre, NY, 1945.
- Mordeen, Burning Bright, Broadhurst Theatre, NY, 1950.
- Patty O'Neill, The Moon Is Blue, Henry Miller's Theatre, NY, 1951.
- Rose Pemberton, The Living Room, Henry Miller's Theatre, NY, 1954.
- Maggie, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Morosco Theatre, NY, 1955.
- Mary, The Sleeping Prince, Coronet Theatre, NY, 1956.
- Katherine Johnson, Silent Night, Morosco Theatre, NY, 1959.
- Mary, Mary, Mary, Helen Hayes Theatre, NY, 1961.
- Ellen Manville, Luv, Booth Theatre, NY, 1966.
- Jenny, Everything in the Garden, Plymouth Theatre, NY, 1967.
- Katy Cooper, Finishing Touches, Plymouth Theatre, NY, then Ahmanson Theatre, Los Angeles, CA, 1973.
- Appeared frequently in stock in such productions as Claudia, Lilian, BornYesterday, Voice of the Turtle, Wait Until Dark and Tobacco Road.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- Judy, Junior Miss, USO, U.S. Army installations, 1942.
- Katy Cooper, Finishing Touches, U.S. cities, 1974.
- Ah! Wildnerness, U.S. cities, 1975.
- FILM DEBUT--The Long Night, 1947.
Credits; PRINCIPAL FILM APPEARANCES
- I Remember Mama, 1948.
- Blood on the Moon, 1948.
- Caught, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, 1949.
- Panic in the Streets, 1950.
- Fourteen Hours, 1951.
- The Five Pennies, Columbia, 1959.
- Five Branded Women, Paramount, 1960.
- By Love Posessed, United Artists, 1961.
- The Todd Killings (also known as A Dangerous Friend), National General, 1971.
- Summertree, Columbia, 1971.
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION APPEARANCES; SERIES
- Eleanor Southworth (Miss Ellie) Ewing, Dallas, CBS, 1978-84, 1985--.
- "Molly Morgan," Nash Airflyte Theater, CBS, 1951.
August 8, 2005: Bel Geddes died on August 8, 2005, at her home in Northeast Harbor, Maine, of lung cancer. She was 82. Source: CNN.com, www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/10/obit.belgeddes.ap/index.html, August 18, 2005.
Other articles you might like: