Walter Mosley Biography (1952-)
Born in 1952, in Los Angeles, CA; son of Leroy (a school librarian) and Ella(a personnel clerk) Mosley; married Joy Kellman (a dancer and choreographer),1987. Career: Writer. Worked as a computer programmer for fifteen years, including work for Mobil Oil, New York. City College of the City University of New York, affiliated with founding of Publishing Certificate Program, 1997; PEN Open Book Program, cofounder and chairperson until 1997; TransAfricaForum, cochairperson of Capital Campaign, 1999. Awards, Honors: Shamus Award, Private Eye Writers of America, and Edgar Award nomination, best newmystery, Mystery Writers of America, both 1990, for the novel Devil in aBlue Dress. Addresses: Contact: c/o W. W. Norton and Co., Inc., 500 Fifth Ave., New York, NY 10110.
- Birth Details
- Los Angeles, California, United States
- Film Work
- Associate producer, Devil in a Blue Dress(also known as Le Diable en Robe Bleue), TriStar, 1995
- Television Work
- Executive producer, Always Outnumbered(movie), HBO, 1998
- Television Appearances
- Barry Levinson on the Future in the Twentieth Century: Yesterday'sTomorrows(special), Showtime, 1998
- For Television
- Always Outnumbered(movie; based on his book Always Outnumbered,Always Outgunned: The Socrates Fortlow Stories), HBO, 1998
- Devil in a Blue Dress(novel), Norton (New York City), 1990
- A Red Death(novel), Norton, 1991
- White Butterfly(novel), Norton, 1992
- Black Betty(novel), Norton, 1994
- R. L.'s Dream(novel), Norton, 1995
- Gone Fishin'(novella), Black Classic Press, 1996
- Always Outnumbered, Always Outgunned: The Socrates Fortlow Stories, Norton, 1997
- Blue Light(science fiction novel), Little, Brown (Boston, MA), 1999
- Also author of A Yellow Dog.
- The screen adaptation of the novel Devil in a Blue Dress March 23,1998, was released as a feature film by TriStar in 1995. The television series Fallen Angels, broadcast by Showtime in 1995, was based on his short story "Fearless."
- Contemporary Authors, New Revision Series, Volume 57, Gale (Detroit, MI), 1997, pp. 373-6.
- Jet, p. 32.
- Los Angeles, November 23, 1998, p. 32.*