Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Nicholas Selby to Marc Singer
Joseph T. Shipley Biography (1893-1988)
Full name, Joseph Twadell Shipley; born August 19, 1893, in Brooklyn, NY; died of a stroke, May 11, 1988, in London, England; son of Jay R. (a seller of law books) and Jennie (Fragner) Shipley; married Helen Bleet (died); married Anne Ziporkese (died); married Shirley Hector; children: Margaret, Paul David(first marriage); John Burke, Howard Thorne (second marriage).
- Birth Details
- August 19, 1893
- Brooklyn, New York, United States
- Death Details
- May 11, 1988
- London, England
Credits; PRINCIPAL RADIO APPEARANCES
- Theatre critic, WEVD, New York City, 1940-82.
- "Mme. Sans Gene," The Ford Hour, NBC.
- Footlight Forum, WMCA, 1938-40.
- Word Stories, WOR, 1949-51.
- (Also translator) Modern French Poetry, Greenberg, 1926, then Books for Libraries, 1972.
- Dictionary of World Literature: Criticism, Forms, Technique, Philosophical Library, 1943, revised edition, Littlefield, 1966, revised and enlarged edition published as Dictionary of World Literary Terms, Forms, Technique, Criticism, Writer, 1970.
- Encyclopedia of Literature (two volumes), Philosophical Library, 1946.
- Ibsen: Five Major Plays, American R.D.M., 1965.
- (Translator) Prose, Poems, and Diaries (Baudelaire), Modern Library, 1919.
- (translator) You and Me (poems of Paul Geraldy), Boni and Liveright, 1923.
- (translator) A Naked King (novel by Albert Ades), Boni and Liveright, 1924.
- King John (novel), Greenberg, 1925.
- The Art of Eugene O'Neill (non-fiction), University of Washington Press,1928.
- The Literary Isms (non-fiction), University of Washington Press, 1931, then Folcroft, 1969.
- The Quest for Literature (non-fiction), Richard R. Smith, 1931.
- Auguste Rodin (biography), Stokes, 1941.
- Dictionary of Word Origins (non-fiction), Philosophical Library, 1945, then Greenwood Press, 1969.
- Trends in Literature (non-fiction), Philosophical Library, 1949.
- (translator) Pablo Picasso (biography by Paul Eluard), Philosophical Library, 1947.
- Dictionary of Early English (non-fiction), Philosophical Library, 1955.
- Guide to Great Plays (non-fiction), Public Affairs Press, 1956.
- Playing with Words (non-fiction), Prentice-Hall, 1960.
- The Mentally Disturbed Teacher (non-fiction), Chilton, 1961.
- Word Games for Play and Power (non-fiction), Prentice-Hall, 1962.
- A Scholar's Glossary of Sex (non-fiction), Heinemann, 1968.
- Vocabulary Science (non-fiction), Research Associates, 1970.
- Word Play (non-fiction), Hawthorn, 1972.
- In Praise of English (non-fiction), Times Books, 1977.
- Also wrote seven titles and edited twelve more in the Study-Master Guidesto Drama series published by American R.D.M., 1963-65.
OBITUARIES AND OTHER SOURCES:
Other articles you might like: