Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
James D. Bissell to Marlon Brando
Les Blank Biography (1935-)
Born November 27, 1935, in Tampa, FL; son of Leslie Harrod (a realtor) and Daisy (a craftsperson; maiden name, Paul) Blank; married Mary Jane Ferris (an artist), 1956 (divorced, 1958); married Gail Perrin (a ceramicist), 1960 (divorced, 1988); children: Athena Blank Ferris Nation Robinson, Harrod, Beau. Addresses: Office--c/o Flower Films, 10341 San Pablo Ave., El Cerrito, CA94530.
- Birth Details
- November 27, 1935
- Tampa, Florida, United States
Credits; Film Work; Director
- Garlic Is As Good As Ten Mothers, Les Blank, 1980.
- Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe (short film), Les Blank, 1980; and cinematographer, Burden of Dreams, Flower Films, 1982; and producer, editor, and cinematographer, The Best of Blank--Musical Highlights from the Films, 1967-87, Flower Films and Video, 1990; and cinematographer, Wild Wheels, Flower Films andTara Releasing, 1992.
- Also director and producer of A Well Spent Life and Spend It All, both 1971; Dry Wood and Hot Pepper, both 1973; (and cinematographer and editor) Always for Pleasure, 1978; Del Mero Corazon, 1979; (and cinematographer) In Heaven There Is No Beer?, 1983; Gap-Toothed Woman, 1987; (and cinematographer) J'ai ete au bal, 1989. Director, Chulas Fronteras, 1976; Chicken Real, 1980; (and cinematographer) Sprout Wings and Fly, 1983; Ziveli: Medicine for the Heart, 1987; Yum Yum Yum! A Taste of Cajun and Creole Cooking, 1990; and Marc andAnn, Julie: Old Time Tales of the Blue Ridge, (and cinematographer) InnocentsAbroad, all 1991.
Credits; Other Film Work
- Werner Herzog in Peru (short film), Les Blank, 1982.
- Cinematographer, Poto and Cabengo, 1979, and Stoney Knows How, 1980; andproducer, Turumba, 1983. Associated with the production of The Blues Accordin' to Lightnin' Hopkins, 1969; The Maestro-- King of the Cowboy Artists and MyOld Fiddle--A Visit with Tommy Jarrell in the Blue Ridge, both 1994; and Sworn to the Drum--A Tribute to Francisco Aguabella, 1995.
Credits; Television Work; Specials
- Producer and director, Be-Fore!, Showtime, 1986.
- Cinematographer and segment director, Routes of Rhythm with Harry Belafonte, PBS, 1990.
- Cinematographer and segment director, Hearts of Darkness:A Filmmaker's Apocalypse, Showtime, 1991.
- 'Til Death Should We Part (one-act), Tulane University, New Orleans, LA,1959.
- Quab (three-act), Tulane University, 1960.
- Also author of the screenplay J'ai ete au bal, 1989.
- (Editor with James Borgan) Burden of Dreams: Screenplays, Journals, Reviews, Photographs, North Atlantic Books, 1985.
- Contributor of poems and fiction to periodicals, including Journal of Life History.
- American Cinematographer, April, 1994, pp. 63-70.
- Down Beat, January, 1988, p. 60.
Other articles you might like: