Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Marla Singer to Rod Steiger
Barbara Sohmers Biography ((?)-)
Addresses: Home: 484 W. 43rd Street, New York, NY, 10036; Agent: PeggyHadley Enterprizes, Suite 2317, 250 W. 57th Street, New York, NY, 10107.
SIDELIGHTS: "I left the U.S. in 1957 and spent most of the 20 following years in Paris working in French theatre, films, television and radio. I speak fluent French. As a singer, I created a one-woman 'Jazz Show,' which ran for six weeks in a Café-théâtre in Paris and in concerts outside of Paris, and sang in several jazz clubs in Paris. Before going to Paris, I spent six months in Dublin, where I played in a production ofde Ghelderode's, Pantagleize, and toured the South and West of Ireland in a variety show and modeled for Irish fashion magazines. Even before leaving for Europe, I was a working actress, having appeared in John Van Drutens' last play and in the Theatre de Lys's production of The Three-penny Opera with the late Lotte Lenya."
- Birth Details
- July 7,
- New York, New York, United States
- As the resident leading/character actress, Loon Lake Playhouse, Loon Lake, NY, 1950's.
New York Debut
- Ilsa, Spring's Awakening, Provincetown Playhouse.
- Janet, Boeing, Boeing, Comédie Caumartin.
Principal Stage Appearances
- Sarah, Table Manners, Meadow Brook, Rochester, MI, 1977; Essie, Ah! Wilderness, Arena Stage, Washington, DC, 1978; Beverly, The Shadow Box, Gilda, Design for Living, Asolo State Theatre, Sarasota, FL, 1979; Hermione, A Winter's Tale, Arena Stage, Washington, DC, 1979; Linda, No Time for Comedy, Playmakers Repertory, Chapel Hill, NC,1980; Ethel Barrymore, Ned and Jack, Little Theatre, NY, 1981; Giselle, The Workshop, Long Wharf, New Haven, CT, 1982; Mme. Knorr, On theRazzle, Arena Stage, Washington, DC, 1982; Lete, Elba, ManhattanTheatre Club, 1983; Titania, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Actors Theatre of Louisville, KY, 1983; Hesione Hushabye, Heartbreak House, Indiana Repertory Company, 1983.
- Amanda, Private Lives, Eleanor, Lion in Winter, Long WharfTheatre tour of U.S.; Mitzi, Madame Princesse, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Morocco, Tunisia, Lebanon.
- Daisy, La Vérité, 1959.
Principal Film Appearances
Hold-up à 'St. Trop'; Nick Carter Ça Tout Casser; A la Française; L'Ombre dans la Glace; What's New, Pussycat?, 1965; L'Enfer; L'Ainé des Ferchaux; Marseille Contract.
Rien Que La Vérité.
Principal Television Appearances
L'Abonné de la ligne; Anna; L'Etonnante Découverte du Professeur Delalune; Saute-Mouton; La Bonne Education; Le Chevalier d'Eon; La Duchesse d'Algues; L'Ecureuil; La Vie Privée de Percy; Shulmeister; Le Mutant.
- Has dubbed hundreds of foreign films into English.
- "The Adventuress," Playgirl Magazine, 1980.
- "Les Maisons de Rendezvous of Paris," Cosmopolitan Magazine.
Other articles you might like: