Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Brigitte Nielsen to Bill Owen
Marcel Ophuls Biography (1927-)
Born Marcel Oppenheimer, November 1, 1927, in Frankfurt-am-Main, Germany; naturalized French citizen in 1938; naturalized U.S. citizen in 1950; son of Max(a film director) and Hilda (Wall) Oppenheimer; married Regine Ackerman, August 21, 1956; children: Catherine Julie, Danielle, Jeanne Dorothee. Addresses: HOME--10 rue Ernest Deloison, Neuilly-sur-Seine, France.
- German, French, American
- Birth Details
- November 1, 1927
- Frankfurt, Germany
Credits; FILM APPEARANCES
- Egon Schiele--Excess and Punishment, Gamma, 1981.
Credits; FILM WORK
- Assistant director, Moulin Rouge, United Artists, 1952.
- assistant director, Un Acte d'amour (also known as Act of Love), United Artists, 1953.
- assistant director, Lola Montes (also known as The Sins of Lola Montes and The Fall of Lola Montes), Brandon, 1955.
- director (West German segment), L'Amour a vingt ans (also known as Love at Twenty, Amore a vent'anni, Milosc Dwudziestolatkow, and Liebe Mit Zwanzig),1962, released in the United States by Embassy, 1963.
- producer and director, Peau de banane (also known as Banana Peel), Pathe,1965.
- producer (with Andre Harris) and director, Le Chagrin et la pitie (also known as The Sorrow and the Pity and The Sorrow and the Shame; documentary), Almi/Cinema V, 1970.
- producer and director, A Sense of Loss (documentary), Contemporary/CinemaV, 1972.
- director, The Memory of Justice (documentary), CIC/Paramount, 1976.
- producer and director, Hotel Terminus: Klaus Barbie, His Life and Times (also known as Hotel Terminus: The Life and Times of Klaus Barbie and Klaus Barbie et son temps; documentary), Samuel Goldwyn/Orion International, 1988.
- Also assistant director, Marianne de ma jeunesse, 1954; director, Matisse, or The Talent for Happiness (short film), 1960; producer and director, Feua volonte (also known as Faites vos jeux, Mesdames, and Fire at Will), 1964.
Credits; TELEVISION WORK; SERIES
- Field producer, 20/20, ABC, 1978--.
- Co-director, Till Eulenspiegel, German television, 1966.
- director, Munich, ou La Paix pour cent ans (also known as Munich, or Peace in Our Time; documentary), ORTF, 1967.
- director, Clavigo, 1970.
- director, The Harvest of My Lai, 1970.
- director, America Revisited, 1971.
- director, Zwei ganze tage (also known as Two Whole Days), 1971.
- director, Kortnergeschichte (documentary), German television, 1980.
- director, Yorktown, le sens d'une bataille, 1982.
- See production details above.
- Matisse, or The Talent for Happiness, 1960.
- (West German segment) L'Amour a vingt ans, 1962.
- (co-writer) Feu a volonte, 1964.
- (with Claude Sautet and Daniel Boulanger) Peau de banane, 1965.
- (with Andre Harris) Le Chagrin et la pitie, 1970.
- A Sense of Loss, 1972.
- The Memory of Justice, 1976.
- Hotel Terminus: Klaus Barbie, His Life and Times, 1988.
- (Co-writer) Till Eulenspiegel, 1966.
- Munich, ou La Paix pour cent ans, 1967.
- The Harvest of My Lai, 1970.
- America Revisited, 1971.
- Kortnergeschichte, 1980.
- Yorktown, le sens d'une bataille, 1982.
- Contributor to periodicals and journals.
Other articles you might like: