Anna Sokolow Biography (1910-)
Addresses: Home: 71 W. 55th Street, New York, NY, 10019; Office: Juilliard School of Dance, Lincoln Center, New York, NY, 10023.
- choreographer, teacher
- Birth Details
- February 9, 1910
- Hartford, Connecticut
- Principal Stage Work, Choreography
- The Great Campaign, Princess, NY, 1947; Street Scene, Adelphi, NY, 1947; Sleepy Hollow, St. James, NY, 1948; Regina, 46thStreet, NY, 1949; Happy as Larry, Coronet, NY, 1950; The Dybbuk, Studio, NY, 1951; Madam, Will You Walk, Phoenix, NY, 1953; Session for Eight, L'Histoire du soldat, Kaufmann Auditorium, 92nd Street YM-YWHA, NY, 1954; Rooms, Anna Sokolow Dance Company, 92nd Street Y, 1955; Red Roses for Me, Booth, NY, 1955; designed choreography for New York City Opera Company productions of La Traviata, Carmen, die Fledermaus,The Tempest, Susannah, Orpheus in the Underworld; choreographed Copper and Brass, Martin Beck, NY, 1957; Pinkville, American Place, NY,1971; The Merry Wives of Windsor, American Shakespeare Festival, Stratford, CT, 1971.
- Original Works For Dance
- Strange American Funeral, Dance Unit, NY, 1935; Slaughter of the Innocents, Guild, NY, 1937; Opening Dance, Guild, 1937; Ballad in a Popular Style, Alvin, NY, 1939; A Short Lecture and Demonstration on the Evolution of Ragtime as Presented by Jelly Roll Morton, Danny Daniels and Group, 92nd Street Y, NY, 1952; Lyric Suite, New Dance Group, 92nd Street Y, 1954; Poem, Anna Sokolow Theatre Dance Company, Brooklyn Academy of Music, 1956; Le grand spectacle, Phoenix, NY, 1957; Session '58, Julliard Dance Ensemble, NY, 1958; Dreams, 92ndStreet Y, 1961; Suite No. 5 in C Minor, New Dance Group, 92nd Street Y, 1963; Opus '63, Julliard Dance Ensemble, 1963; The Question, Juilliard Dance Ensemble, 1964; Forms, Anna Sokolow Dance Company,1964; Odes and Ballade, Juilliard Dance Ensemble, 1965; Opus "65, Joffrey Ballet, Delacorte, NY, 1965;
- Time + 6, Boston Ballet, 1966; Night, Juilliard Dance Ensemble, 1966; Deserts, Anna Sokolow Dance Company, 1968: Stepsof Silence, Repertory Dance Theatre, University of Utah, 1968, Anna Sokolow Dance Company, Brooklyn Academy of Music, 1968; Tribute, Anna Sokolow Dance Company, Brooklyn Academy of Music, 1968; Echoes, Juilliard Dance Ensemble, 1969; Magritte, Magritte, and Act Without Words No.1, Anna Sokolow Dance Company, Lyric; Edison, NY, 1970; The Dove,Juilliard Dance Ensemble, 1970; Scenes from the Music of Charles Ives,Juilliard Dance Ensemble, 1971; Three Poems, Juilliard Dance Ensemble, 1973; Homage to Federico Garcia Lorca, José Limon Dance Company, 1974; Come, Come Travel with Dreams, Juilliard Dance Ensemble, 1974; Ecuatorial, Paul Sanasardo Dance Company, 1974; A Cycle of Cities, Wolf Trap Farm Park, Vienna, VA, 1974.
- The Moon, New York City Opera, 1956; Bugs and Veronica, Pocket, NY, 1965; (with her Players Project) Metamorphosis, Loeb, Harvard, Cambridge, MA, 1971; (as assistant director)--Camino Real, National, NY, 1953.
- Principal Television Work, Choreographer
- "Esther, The Queen,' Lamp Unto My Feet, 1960.
- Theatre-Related Career
- Teacher, Dance, Movement for Actors, Juilliard School of Drama, NY; organized own dance company, 1939; guest choreographer for dance companies in U.S.and abroad.