George Dewey Cukor Biography (1899-1983)
- film director
- Birth Details
- July 7, 1899
- New York, New York, United States
- Principal Stage Work
- Director: The Constant Wife, The Cardboard Lover, The Furies, The Great Gatsby; director and manager for Charles Frohman Co., 1920-28 at the Lyceum in Rochester, NY, Empire, New York City, 1926-29.
- Principal Film Work
- Wrote dialogue for All Quiet on the Western Front, 1929; Director:River of Romance, 1930; Grumpy, 1930; The Virtuous Sin,1930; The Royal Family of Broadway, 1931; Bill of Divorcement,1932; One Hour with You, 1931; What Price Hollywood?, 1932; Rockabye, 1932; Our Betters, 1932; Dinner at Eight, 1933;Little Women, 1933; Tarnished Lady, 1933; Girls About Town, 1933; David Copperfield, 1934; Sylvia Scarlett, 1935; Romeo and Juliet, 1936; Camille, 1936; Holiday, 1938; Zaza, 1938; Gone with the Wind (first director), 1939; The Women, 1939; Susan and God, 1940; The Philadelphia Story, 1940; A Woman's Face, 1941; Two-Faced Woman, 1941; Her CardboardLover, 1942; Keeper of the Flame, 1942; Resistance and Ohm's Law, 1943; Gaslight, 1944; Winged Victory, 1944; Desire Me, 1947; A Double Life, 1948; Edward, My Son, 1948; Adam's Rib, 1949; A Life of Her Own, 1950; Born Yesterday, 1950; The Model and the Marriage Broker, 1951; The Marrying Kind, 1952; Pat and Mike, 1952; The Actress, 1953; It ShouldHappen to You, 1954; A Star Is Born, 1954; Bhowani Junction, 1956; Les Girls, 1957; Wild Is the Wind, 1957; Heller inPink Tights, 1959; Song without End (completed after death of Charles Vidor), 1959; Let's Make Love, 1960; The Chapman Report, 1962; Something's Got to Give, (uncompleted), 1963; My Fair Lady, 1964; Justine, 1969; Travels with My Aunt, 1972; The Blue Bird, 1976; Rich and Famous, 1981; Mr. Cukor became a staffdirector at MGM in 1933.
- Principal Television Work
- Director: Love Among the Ruins; The Corn Is Green.