Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Rachel Luttrell to Robert Markowitz
Natalia Makarova Biography (1940-)
Born November 21 (one source says 28), 1940, in Leningrad, U.S.S.R., immigrated to England, 1970; daughter of Kapitalina Petrova; married first husband (adancer), divorced; married second husband (a film director), divorced; (somesources say married and divorced one other husband); married Edward Karkar (an industrialist), 1976; children: Andrei Michel. Addresses: Office--London Festival Ballet, 39 Jay Mews, London SW7 2ES, England; American BalletTheatre, 888 Seventh Ave., New York, NY 10019.
- Russian, British
- Birth Details
- November 21, 1940
- Leningrad, U.S.S.R
Credits; STAGE APPEARANCES
- Title role, Giselle, Kirov Ballet, London, 1961.
- Odette-Odile, Swan Lake, Kirov Theatre, Leningrad, U.S.S.R., 1964.
- Guest appearance, Giselle, Netherlands National Ballet, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1966.
- Giselle, American Ballet Theatre, City Center, New York City, 1970.
- The River, American Ballet Theatre, Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, New York City, 1971.
- The Miraculous Mandarin, American Ballet Theatre, Lincoln Center for thePerforming Arts, 1971.
- Juliet, Romeo and Juliet, American Ballet Theatre, Lincoln Center for thePerforming Arts, 1971.
- (Broadway debut) Vera Baronova, On Your Toes, Virginia Theatre, New YorkCity, 1983-84, then London, 1984.
- On Your Toes, Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, Los Angeles, c. 1985.
- Eugene Onegin, National Ballet of Canada, 1988.
- Romeo and Juliet, Covent Garden, London, 1989.
- Eugene Onegin, Kirov Theatre, 1989.
- Also performed at Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, 1961; appeared with Kirov Ballet in London, 1970. Appeared in The Blue Angel, 1985; in benefit performance, British Columbia, Canada, 1987; and in Swan Lake, Kirov Ballet, c.1988. Appeared with American Ballet Theatre in Lilac Garden, Coppelia, La Sylphide, Les Sylphides, and Swan Lake.
- Also appeared in other productions, including Fountains of Bakhchisarai,Masquerade, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Raymonda, The Firebird, A Month in the Country, Don Quixote, Manon, Carmen, Epilogue, Contradance, and Other Dances.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- Title role, Giselle, Kirov Ballet, U.S. cities, 1961.
- Odette, Swan Lake, Kirov Ballet, U.S. cities, 1964.
Credits; STAGE WORK
- Choreographer and director, La Bayadere, American Ballet Theatre, 1980.
Credits; TELEVISION APPEARANCES; EPISODIC
- The Ed Sullivan Show, CBS, 1970.
Credits; TELEVISION APPEARANCES; SPECIALS
- Title role, Giselle, PBS, 1977.
- Natasha Special, BBC, 1985.
- Ballerina, BBC, 1987.
- Swan Lake, Arts & Entertainment, 1989 (also see below).
- Also appeared as Odette-Odile in Swan Lake, 1976, and as dancer in "Don Quixote," American Ballet Theatre, 1978. Appeared in The Cowboy, the Craftsmanand the Ballerina, 1981; The Magic of Dance, 1982; and Makarova: Class of Her Own, 1984.
Credits; OTHER TELEVISION APPEARANCES
- Appeared with Rudolf Nureyev on BBC in early 1970s.
Credits; TELEVISION WORK
- Choreographer and stage director, Swan Lake (special), Arts & Entertainment, 1989.
- A Dance Autobiography, Knopf, 1979.
- Contributor to Sunday Telegraph (London).
- New York Times, February, 1989.
Other articles you might like: