Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Frances Patricia Beck to Val Bisoglio
Sidney L Berger Biography (1936-)
Addresses: Home: 4711 Imogene, Houston, TX, 77035.
Mr. Berger has served on numerous councils and commissions on the arts. He traveled to Germany and Poland as an American specialist in drama, sponsored bythe U.S. State Department in 1963-64, and made four trips to Asia, Greenland, Iceland, and Europe sponsored by the AETA, the USO, and the Department of Defense with productions of Brigadoon, 1960, The Boy Friend, 1963, The Boys from Syracuse, 1968, and Sweet Charity, 1972. He has been a judge for many state and regional theatre festivals, produced children's theatre and has been the producing director of the Houston Shakespeare Festival since 1975.
- writer, director, producer
- Assistant instructor, University of Kansas, 1958-63; assistant/associateprofessor, Michigan State University, 1964-69; professor, chairman of Department of Drama, University of Houston, 1964-.
- Directed over one hundred productions including Hamlet, West Side Story, Marat/Sade, Macbeth, Shadow Box, The Homecoming, Richard III, Equus, Romeoand Juliet, Jacques Brel Is Alive and Well and Living in Paris, Diary of Anne Frank, The Taming of the Shrew, The Three-penny Opera, Man of La Mancha, Candide, The Robber Bridegroom.
- That Caveman Touch (book), Gershwin, New York, 1956; Hell of an Angel, Gershwin, New York, 1957; The Mudlark (book and lyrics), 1970; Birdboy (book and lyrics), Jones Hall, Houston, 1972; The Fall and Rise of Bertholt Brecht (adapted book), Attic, Houston, 1977; The Last Temptation of Christ (book and lyrics), 1980; The Little Match Girl (book and lyrics), 1982.
- "Show Stopping: The Musical Play," Bulletin of Education, April 1962; "The Musical Theatre Before 1850" (book review), Players Magazine,May 1963; "An Annotated Listing of Full-Length Plays," Speech and Drama Service Center Bulletin; "The Yiddish Theatre in America" (book review), Players Magazine, January 1966; "The Jew in Contemporary Drama," Jewish Book Annual, vol. 28, October 1970; "Contradictory Characters" (bookreview), American Theatre Journal, March 1974; "A Look at Trovatore,"Opera Cues, Fall 1974; "Showboating," Opera Cues, 1983; servedas senior staff editor, Speech and Drama Service Center Bulletin, 1959-64.
Other articles you might like: