Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Ueli Steiger to Milt Tarver
Emily Favella Stevens Biography ((?)-)
Born Amelia Del Carmen, in Mexico City, Mexico. Addresses: OFFICE--Larkmont, P.O. Box 424, Sea Cliff, NY 11579.
Emily (sometimes known as Emilie) Favella Stevens has been credited by StuartW. Little in his book, Off-Broadway (Coward, McCann & Geoghegan, Inc., NY, 1972) with being among the founders (and one of the original members of the board of directors) of the Circle in the Square, one of the three theatreswhich, historically, gave birth to the Off-Broadway movement of the 1950's. Elaborating on this, in a letter to CTFT, Stevens comments that she "was largely responsible for the post-war renaissance and stature of Off- Broadway." She goes on to remark that the inclusion of Jose Quintero in the original "circle" was due to her invitation to him, an old school-chum from California. Sheclaims to be "the" founder of the Villetta Players and the Loft Players, both in Woodstock, the two groups which, critics and historians acknowledge, became the Circle in the Square. In addition to her work with these three companies, cited above, she also functioned as stage manager, technical director and, for Circle in the Square, as company manager.
- NEW YORK DEBUT--The Enchanted, Circle in the Square, 1950.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE APPEARANCES
- Summer Stock, Plymouth, MA, and Woodstock, NY.
- Antigone, The Infernal Machine, first sprite, Don Perlimplin and Belisa,both Villetta Studio Players, Woodstock, NY, 1945.
- Esther, The Red Velvet Goat and The Gallows Man, Villetta Studio Players,both 1946.
- Columbine, Aria Da Capo, the Art Institute, Woodstock, NY, 1946.
- Don Perlimplin and Belisa, the Art Institute, Woodstock, 1947.
- Alice in Wonderland, Laura Wingfield, The Glass Menagerie, woman, Ridersto the Sea, Columbine, Aria Da Capo, first sprite, Don Perlimplin and Belisa,all with the Loft Players, Maverick Theatre, Woodstock.
- Amata, Circle in the Square, NY, 1950.
- Bonds of Interest, Mordeen, Burning Bright, both Circle in the Square, 1951.
- Miss Rosemary, Summer and Smoke, Circle in the Square, 1952.
- Nellie Ewell, Summer and Smoke, Academy of Music, Philadelphia, 1952.
- Also Yerma and American Gothic, both Circle in the Square.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- Laura Wingfield, The Glass Menagerie, the Catskill Mountain resorts withthe Loft Players.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE WORK
- Lighting designer, The Infernal Machine, Villetta Studio Players, 1945.
- production designer, Ten Nights in a Bar Room, Villetta Studio Players, 1946.
- prop designer, Alice in Wonderland, Loft Players.
- set and costume designer, Riders to the Sea and In the Shadow of the Glen(double bill), Loft Players.
- production designer, A Ribbon of Smoke, Loft Players.
- set designer, Dark of the Moon, Circle in the Square, NY, 1950.
- sets designer, The Enchanted, Circle in the Square, NY.
- Co-producer (for the Villetta Theatre), The Infernal Machine, Don Perlimplin and Belisa, The Red Velvet Goat, The Gallows Man, Mr.
- Sleeman Is Coming, Ten Nights in a Bar Room, Aria Da Capo.
- co-producer (for the Loft Players), Alice in Wonderland, The Glass Menagerie, Angel Street, The Beautiful People, Riders to the Sea and In the Shadowof the Glen, A Ribbon of Smoke, A Phoenix Too Frequent, Aria Da Capo, Don Perlimplin and Belisa.
- summer tour, The Glass Menagerie and The Voice of the Turtle.
- co-producer (for Circle in the Square), Dark of the Moon, The Enchanted,Amata, Bonds of Interest, Burning Bright, American Gothic, The Grass Harp, Yerma, Summer and Smoke, Orpheus and Eurydice, Ah, Wilderness!, The Girl on theVia Flaminia (the last play also on Broadway, 48th Street Theatre, 1954).
- co-producer, Suddenly Last Summer.
- producer, Candied House.
- producer and director, Elizabethan Rendezvous, Roanoke Island, NC.
- Producer, Circle in the Square Sunday Concerts, featuring: Lillian Hellman, Tennessee Williams, Dylan Thomas, Dorothy Parker, Gore Vidal, Alexander Schneider, Oscar Brand; producer, Circle in the Square Saturday Night Jazz Concerts; producer, Circle in the Square Children Shows.
Other articles you might like: