Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Melissa Errico to Colleen Fitzpatrick
George Faison Biography (c. 1947-)
Born in 1947 in Washington, DC.
- Birth Details
- c. 1947
- Washington, District of Columbia
Credits; STAGE APPEARANCES
- Dancer, Purlie, Broadway Theatre, then Winter Garden Theatre, both New York City, 1970, then American National Theatre and Academy Theatre, New York City, 1971.
- dancer (with the George Faison Universal Dance Experience), Interludes series, Town Hall, New York City, 1975.
- Also dancer, Sinner Man (ballet), Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre.
- STAGE WORK; ALL AS CHOREOGRAPHER,UNLESS INDICATED Nigger Nightmare, New York Shakespeare Festival (NYSF), Public Theatre, New York City, 1971-72.
- Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope, Playhouse Theatre, then Edison Theatre, both New York City, 1972.
- (also assistant director) Ti-Jean and His Brothers, NYSF, Delacorte Theatre, New York City, 1972.
- Everyman and Roach, Everyman Theatre Company, New York City, 1972.
- The Wiz, Majestic Theatre, New York City, 1975, then Broadway Theatre, New York City, 1977.
- Al Green/Ashford and Simpson, Uris Theatre, New York City, 1976.
- director, Inner City, New Theatre of Washington, Washington, DC, 1976.
- (with Gilbert Moses; also director) 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Mark Hellinger Theatre, New York City, 1976.
- Hobo Sapiens, Gazelle, and Suite Otis (ballets), all Alvin Ailey AmericanDance Theatre, City Center Theatre, New York City, 1977.
- creator (with Anita L. Thomas) and director, Fixed, Theatre of the Riverside Church, New York City, 1977.
- (also director) Up on the Mountain, Kennedy Center Musical Theatre Lab, Washington, DC, 1980.
- The Moony Shapiro Songbook, Morosco Theatre, New York City, 1981.
- Rhinestone, Richard Allen Center, New York City, 1982.
- Porgy and Bess, Radio City Music Hall, New York City, 1983.
- The Wiz, Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, New York City, 1984.
- Also Billie Holliday Ballet, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- Choreographer, The Wiz, U.S. cities, 1978-79.
Credits; FILM APPEARANCES
- The choreographer, Driving Me Crazy, First-Run Features, 1990.
Credits; FILM WORK
- Choreographer (with Michael Smuin, Henry LeTang, Gregory Hines, Claudia Asbury, Arthur Mitchell, and Michael Meachum), The Cotton Club, Orion, 1984.
Credits; TELEVISION APPEARANCES; SPECIALS
- Bill Cosby Salutes Alvin Ailey, NBC, 1989.
Credits; TELEVISION WORK; SPECIALS
- Choreographer, The Natalie Cole Special, CBS, 1978.
- creator, executive producer (with Joe Cates), and production supervisor,Bill Cosby Salutes Alvin Ailey, NBC, 1989.
- Also choreographer, The Wiz, 1975; co-creator, Graffiti the Great, NBC.
- Black Theatre Alliance Newsletter, January, 1979.
- New Amsterdam News, July 16, 1975 and May 26, 1984.
- New York Times, November 27, 1977.
- Washington Post, April 20, 1980.
Other articles you might like: