Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Brian Klugman to Michael Lantieri
Arthur Knight Biography (1916-1991)
Born Arthur Rosenheimer, September 3, 1916, in Philadelphia, PA; died of a heart attack, July 25, 1991, in Sydney, Australia; son of Arthur and Claudia (Oppenheimer) Rosenheimer; married Mary Ann Nyberg (a costume designer; divorced); married Anne Elizabeth Hall (a writer), September 25, 1981.
- film historian, critic, educator
- Birth Details
- September 3, 1916
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
- Death Details
- July 25, 1991
- Sydney, Australia
Credits; Television Appearances
- Host, The Great Directors (also see below), syndicated, 1964.
- Host, Sex in Cinema (also see below), Playboy Channel, 1985.
Credits; Television Work; Series
- Film coordinator, Omnibus, CBS, 1953-57.
- Film coordinator, Odyssey, CBS, 1957.
- Film coordinator, Seven Lively Arts, CBS, 1957.
- Coproducer, Sex In Cinema, Playboy Channel, 1985.
Credits; Film Appearances
Play It as It Lays, Universal, 1972.
Credits; Radio Work
- Host of radio show, Knight at the Movies.
Sex in the Cinema, Iowa State University, 1976.
- (With Fay Mitchell Kanin) The Image of Women and Men in Films, Center for Cassette Studies, 1975.
- (With Sy Gomberg) The Era of the Blacklist, Center for Cassette Studies, 1975.
The Liveliest Art: A Panoramic History of the Movies, Macmillan, 1957, revised, 1978.
The Hollywood Style, photographs by Eliot Elisofon, Macmillan, 1969.
- (With Hollis Alpert) Playboy's Sex in Cinema, 1970, Playboy Press,1971.
- (With Alpert and the editors of Playboy) Playboy's Sex in Cinema 3, Playboy Press, 1973.
Playboy's Sex in Cinema 4, Playboy Press, 1974.
Playboy's Sex in Cinema 5, Playboy Press, 1975.
Playboy's Sex in Cinema 7, Playboy Press, 1977.
- Author of television series The Great Directors, 1964, and Sexin Cinema, 1985; author of over fifty documentary film scripts. Author of"Sex in Cinema" (column), Playboy, 1965-86. Contributor to books, including Encyclopedia Britannica and Collier's Encyclopedia; contributor to professional journals and periodicals, including Variety.
Film Quarterly, summer, 1980, p. 52.
Hollywood Reporter, July 26, 1991, p. 1.
Publishers Weekly, November 1, 1986, p. 58.
Variety, September 18, 1985; July 29, 1991.