Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Jack Dabdoub to Anthony John Denison
Andre De Toth Biography (1913?-2002)
Full name, Sasvrai Farkasfawi Tothfalusi Toth Endre Antai Mihaly; born May 15, 1913 (some sources say 1910), in Mako, Hungary; immigrated to the United States, 1943; son of a military officer; married Veronica Lake (an actress), 1944 (divorced, 1952).
- Death Details
- October 27, 2002
- Burbank, California
Credits; Film Director, Except Where Indicated
- House of Wax, Warner Bros., 1953.
- Hidden Fear, United Artists (UA), 1957.
- Director (with Filippo Sanjust and Primo Zeglio), Morgan the Pirate (alsoknown as Morgan il pirata), Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM), 1961.
- Executive producer, Billion Dollar Brain, UA, 1967; and executive producer, Play Dirty (also known as Written on the Sand), UA, 1969.
- Producer, El Condor, National General, 1970.
- Director of the film Passport of Suez, 1943. Codirector of None Shall Escape, Dark Waters, and Guest in the House, all 1944.
- Director of Ramrod and The Other Love, both 1947; Pitfall, 1948; Slattery's Hurricane, 1949; Man in the Saddle (also known as Outcast), 1951; Carson City, Springfield Rifle, and Last of the Comanches (also known as The Sabre and the Arrow), all 1952; Thunder over the Plains and The Stranger Wore a Gun,both 1953; The Bounty Hunter, Tanganyika, Crime Wave (also known as The CityIs Dark), and Riding Shotgun, all 1954; The Indian Fighter, 1955; Monkey on My Back, 1957; The Two-Headed Spy and Day of the Outlaw, both 1959; and Man ona String (also known as Confessions of a Counterspy), 1960. Codirector of The Mongols (also known asI Mongoli), 1961, Oro per i Cesari (also known as Gold of the Caesars), 1962; director of The Dangerous Game. Director of Hungarian films, under the name Toth Endre, including Oet ora 40 (also known as At 5:30), Ket lany az utcan (also known as Two Girls of the Street), Semmelweiss,Hat het boldogsag (also known as Six Weeks of Happiness), Balalaika, and Toprini nasz (also known as Wedding in Toprin), all 1939.
Credits; Film Appearances
- A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese through American Movies (documentary), Miramax, 1995.
- Appeared as Vendermeer in the film Spontaneous Combustion, 1989.
Credits; Television Appearances; Episodic
- American Cinema, PBS, 1995.
- (With John Ward Hawkins) Hidden Fear, UA, 1957.
- (With Filippo Sanjust and Primo Zeglio) Morgan the Pirate (also known asMorgan il pirata), MGM, 1961.
- Coauthor of the screenplays The Life of Emile Zola, 1937; Lydia, 1941; None Shall Escape, 1944; Young Widow, 1946; Dishonored Lady, 1947; and WestwardHo the Wagons!, 1956. Coauthor of Hungarian screenplays, under the name TothEndre, including Oet ora 40 (also known as At 5:30), Ket lany az utcan (alsoknown as Two Girls of the Street), Semmelweiss, Hat het boldogsag (also known as Six Weeks of Happiness), Balalaika, and Toprini nasz (also known as Wedding in Toprin), all 1939.
- Fragments: Portraits from the Inside (memoir), Faber (Winchester, MA), 1994.
- Also author (with William Bowers) of the story "The Gunfighter."
- Adaptations: The screenplay The Gunfighter, released by Twentieth Century-Fox in 1950, was adapted from a story by De Toth and William Bowers.
- Peary, Danny, Cult Movies: The Classics, the Sleepers, the Weird, and the Wonderful, Dell (New York), 1981.
Other articles you might like: