Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Judy Cornwell to Howard Da Silva
Richard Courtney Biography (1927-)
Born June 4, 1927, in Newmarket, England; son of Arthur John (a teacher) andCelia Annie Courtney; married Rosemary Gale (a writer and editor); children:Anne, John. Addresses: OFFICE--Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, 252 Bloor Street W., Toronto, Ontario M5S 1V6, Canada.
- English, Canadian
- Birth Details
- June 4, 1927
- Newmarket, England
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE APPEARANCES
- Various music hall appearances in Northern England, 1951-54. Also appeared with the Arts Theatre, Leeds, the English Theatre Guild, and performed in other repertory and amateur productions, all in England.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE WORK
- Director, Arts Theatre and Proscenium Players, both in Leeds.
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION APPEARANCES
- With the Northern Repertory Company, BBC, 1954-64.
- Wide Eyed Girl, Stockwell, 1948.
- (Editor) College Drama Space, Institute of Education, University of London, 1964.
- Teaching Drama, Cassell, 1965.
- The School Play, Cassell, 1966.
- The Drama Studio, Pitman, 1967.
- Play, Drama, and Thought: The Intellectual Background to Dramatic Education, Cassell, 1968, second edition, Drama Book Specialists, 1970, third edition, 1974.
- Teaching and the Arts: Arts Education in Australia, With Specific Reference to Drama Education in Victoria, Melbourne State College, 1979.
- (editor) The Face of the Future: The Report of the National Inquiry IntoArts and Education in Canada, Canadian Conference of the Arts, 1979.
- The Dramatic Curriculum, Drama Book Specialists, 1980.
- (with Paul Park) Learning in the Arts, Ministry of Education, Ontario, 1980.
Writings; (editor, with Gertrud Schattner) Drama in Therapy (two volumes
- Volume I, Children, Volume II, Adults), Drama Book Specialists, 1981.
- History of British Drama, Littlefield, Adams, 1982.
- Re-Play: Studies of Human Drama in Education, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education Press, 1982.
- Outline History of British Drama, Littlefield, 1982.
- The Rarest Dream: "Play, Drama, and Thought" Revisited, 1984.
- (with Dr; Booth, J; Emerson, and N; Kuzmich), Teacher Education in the Arts, 1986.
- The Quest: Research and Inquiry in Arts Education, University Press of America, 1987.
- Dictionary of Developmental Drama, C. C. Thomas, 1987.
- Contributor: Education and the Arts, Australian National University, 1971; Drama in Education, Pitman, Volume I, 1973, Volume II, 1974, Volume III, 1975; Theatre for Young Audiences, Longman, 1978; Wholistic Dimensions in Healing, Doubleday, 1978; Fourth Yearbook on Research in Arts and Aesthetic Education, Central Midwest Regional Educational Laboratory, 1981.
- Contributor of more than one hundred articles, stories, poems, and reviews to scholarly journals, popular magazines, and newspapers, including Gryphon, Players, Connecticut Review, Queen's Quarterly, and Orbit; editor of monograph series "Discussions in Developmental Drama," University of Calgary, 1971-74; contributing editor, Curriculum Inquiry, 1975-78.
Other articles you might like: