Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
William Dudley to Gilbert Ernotte
Jean Erdman Biography (1916-)
Born February 20, 1916, in Honolulu, HI; daughter of John Pinney (a directorof the Hawaiian Board of Missions) and Marion Elinor (a singer; maiden name,Dillingham) Erdman; married Joseph Campbell (a professor of comparative mythology and writer), May 5, 1938. Addresses: HOME--136 Waverly Place, NewYork, NY 10014. OFFICE--Theatre of the Open Eye, 220 W. 89th Street, New York, NY 10024.
- Birth Details
- February 20, 1916
- Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
- STAGE DEBUT--Russian Princess, Ways and Means, Dillingham Hall, Honolulu,HI, 1937.
- BROADWAY DEBUT--The Ideal Spectator, Every Soul Is a Circus, with the Martha Graham Dance Company, St. James Theatre, 1939, for three performances.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE APPEARANCES
- Anna Livia Plurabelle, The Coach with the Six Insides, Village South Theatre, New York City, 1962.
- Queen, Moon Mysteries, Theatre at St. Clement's, New York City, 1972.
- Had leading roles in Punch and the Judy and Letter to the World.
- PRINCIPAL STAGE WORK; CHOREOGRAPHER,EXCEPT AS NOTED The Transformation ofMedusa, Bennington Summer Festival, VT, 1942.
- Daughters of the Lonesome Isle, 1945.
- Ophelia, 1946.
- The Flies, Vassar College, New York City, 1947.
- The Perilous Chapel, 1949.
- The Enchanted, Lyceum Theatre, New York City, 1950.
- Changingwoman, 1951.
- Otherman--Or the Beginning of a New Nation, 1954.
- Duet for Flute and Dancer, 1956.
- Fearful Symmetry, 1957.
- Harlequinade, 1957.
- Four Portraits from Duke Ellington's Shakespeare Album, 1958.
- Now and Zen--Remembering, 1959.
- Twenty Poems of e.e. Cummings, 1960, Ensembles, Voracious, and Safari, all 1969, and The Castle, 1970.
- And writer and director, The Coach with the Six Insides, Village South Theatre, New York City, 1962.
- Yerma, Vivian Beaumont Theatre, New York City, 1966.
- Director, The Municipal Water System Is Not Trustworthy, Sullivan StreetTheatre, New York City, 1967.
- The Two Gentlemen of Verona, New York Shakespeare Festival, Delacorte Theatre, 1971, then at the Mobile Theatre, New York City, 1973.
- And director, Moon Mysteries, Theatre at St. Clement's, New York City, 1972.
- Artistic director, Theatre of the Open Eye, 1972.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- Solo dancer and choreographer with the Jean Erdman Dance Company, world cities, 1955.
- Anna Livia Plurabelle, The Coach with the Six Insides, world cities, 1964.
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION APPEARANCES
- Anna Livia Plurabelle, Coach with the Six Insides, PBS, 1965.
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION WORK
- Writer, director, and choreographer, Coach with the Six Insides, PBS, 1965.
Other articles you might like: