Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Jack Dabdoub to Anthony John Denison
Valentine Davies Biography (1905-1961)
Born August 25, 1905, in New York, NY; died of a heart attack, July 23, 1961,in Malibu, CA; son of J. Clarence (a realtor) and Rosalie (Loewi) Davies; married Elizabeth Strauss, October 9, 1926; children: John Phillips, Judith Clare. Career: Writer, director, and producer. Served as vice president and member of board of directors for the Motion Picture Relief Fund; served aspresident and member of board of directors for the Permanent Charities Committee of the Motion Picture Industry; served as president of the ScreenwritersGuild. Military service: U.S. Coast Guard, served during World War II; became lieutenant. Awards, Honors: Academy Award, best writing of anoriginal story, 1947, for Miracle on 34th Street; Academy Award nomination, best writing of a motion picture story, 1949, for It Happens EverySpring; Academy Award nominations, best writing of original story and best screenplay, both 1954, for The Glenn Miller Story; Academy Award nomination, best documentary short subject, 1956, for The House without a Name..
- Writer, director, producer
- Birth Details
- August 25, 1905
- New York, New York, United States
- Death Details
- July 23, 1961
- Malibu, California, United States
- Director, The Benny Goodman Story, Universal, 1956
- Producer, The House without a Name (documentary short film), 1956
Syncopation (based on his story "The Band Played On"), RKO Radio Pictures, 1941
Three Little Girls in Blue (based on the play Three Blind Mice by Stephen Powys), Twentieth Century-Fox, 1946
- (With Elick Moll) You Were Meant for Me, Twentieth Century-Fox, 1948
- (With George Seaton) Chicken Every Sunday, Twentieth Century-Fox,1948
It Happens Every Spring (based on the novel of the same title by Shirley W. Smith), 1949
- (With Phoebe Ephron and Henry Ephron) On the Riviera, Twentieth Century-Fox, 1951
Sailor of the King (also known as Brown on Resolution and Single Handed; based on the novel Brown on Resolution by C. S. Forester), Twentieth Century-Fox, 1953
- (With Oscar Brodney) The Glenn Miller Story, Universal, 1954
The Bridges at Toko-Ri (based on the novel by James Michener), Paramount, 1955
- (With Beirne Lay, Jr.) Strategic Air Command (based on a story byLay), Paramount, 1955
The Benny Goodman Story, Universal, 1956
- (With Hal Kantor) Bachelor in Paradise, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, 1961
House of Juke (one-act), Samuel French, 1930
Three Times the Hour, 1931
Keeper of the Keys (based on a novel by Earl Derr Biggers), 1933
Blow Ye Winds, 1937
- Author of the plays Auf Wiedersehen and The Road to Christmas.
Miracle on 34th Street, Harcourt, 1947
It Happens Every Spring, Farrar, Straus, 1949
- Davies's novel Miracle on 34th Street was adapted for the screen by George Seaton and released (also known as The Big Heart) by Twentieth Century-Fox in 1947. Miracle on 34th Street was remade and releasedby Twentieth Century-Fox in 1994. The film It Started with a Kiss, released in 1959, was also based on a novel by Davies.
Newsweek, August 7, 1961
New York Times July 25, 1961, p. 27.
Publishers Weekly, August 21, 1961, p. 76.
Time, August 4, 1961, *
Other articles you might like: