Glenn Loney Biography (1928-)
Addresses: Home: 3 E. 71st Street, New York, NY, 10021; Office: Ph.D.Program in Theatre, City University Graduate Center, 33 W. 42nd Street, New York, NY, 10036; Agent: c/o Sally Wecksler, 170 West End Avenue, New York, NY,10023.
"Even before going to teach in Europe (and North Africa and the Middle East)in 1956, I was fascinated by theatre history's surviving monuments. During my European tour of duty, and subsequently each summer vacation, I have been able to study many famed theatres and sites, as well as to report on foreign theatre activity and personalities. I have reviewed major music and drama festivals, always relating drama, dance and opera to the theatre tradition."
- writer, educator
- Briefing and Conference Techniques, 1959; Tragedy and Comedy (two anthologies, with Robert Corrigan), 1971; The Forms of Drama (with Robert Corrigan), 1972; Peter Brook's RSC Production of "A Midsummer Night's Dream,"; 1974; Authorized Production Book of Young Vic's "Scapino,"; 1975; The Shakespeare Complex (with Pat MacKay),1975; Your Future in the Performing Arts, 1980; The House of Mirth/The Play of the Novel, 1981; Twentieth Century Theatre (2 vols),1983; California Gold-Rush Drama, 1983; American Musical Theatre, 1984; Staging Shakespeare, 1984.
- Critiques, Essays, And Reportage
- Educational Theatre Journal; Quarterly Journal of Speech; Opera News;High Fidelity/Musical America; Opera (Holland); Modern Drama; Craft Horizons; Progressive Architecture; Theatre Crafts; After Dark; Dance; Rundschau; Life; Reporter; Signature; Saturday Evening Post; Scandinavian Times; Cue;Show; Theatre Arts; Theatre Design and Technology; Music Journal; Smithsonian; Architectural Forum; Commonweal; American Scholar; Variety; Players; Theatre Annual; American Artist; NAEB Journal; American-German Review; Theatre Today; Dramatists Guild Quarterly; INTER/View; Performing Arts Journal.
- Newspaper Reviews and Reportage
- Christian Science Monitor; New York Herald-Tribune; New York Times; New York Daily News/Weekly Column; Los Angeles Times.
- Theatre-Related Career
- Educator--instructor, San Francisco State University, 1955-56; instructor, University of Nevada/Las Vegas, 1956; professor, University of Maryland (Europe), 1956-59; instructor, Hofstra University, 1959-61; instructor, AdelphiUniversity, 1959-61; professor, Brooklyn College and CUNY Graduate Center, 1961-present.