Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
James Newton Howard to Kevin Jarre
Peter James Biography (1940-)
Born July 27, 1940, in Enfield, England; son of Arthur Leonard and Gladys (King) James. Addresses: Office--c/o Crucible Theatre, 55 Norfolk Street,Sheffield S1 1DA, England.
CTFT learned that Peter James was the first British director to stage a production in the former USSR when he directed Twelfth Night in Moscow in 1975.
- Birth Details
- July 27, 1940
- Enfield, England
Credits; STAGE WORK; DIRECTOR
- The Caretaker, Everyman Theatre, Liverpool, England, 1964.
- The Wakefield Mystery Plays, Young Vic Theatre, London, 1970-72.
- Little Malcolm, Young Vic Theatre, 1970-72.
- Happy Days, Young Vic Theatre, 1970-72.
- Endgame, Young Vic Theatre, 1970-72.
- Romeo and Juliet, Young Vic Theatre, 1970-72.
- Julius Caesar, Young Vic Theatre, 1970-72.
- The Dwarfs, Young Vic Theatre, 1970-72.
- The Shadow of the Gunman, Young Vic Theatre, 1970-72.
- The Painters, Young Vic Theatre, 1970-72.
- The Comedy of Errors, Young Vic Theatre, 1970-72.
- Bakke's Night of Fame, Shaw Theatre, London, 1972.
- Oh, What a Lovely War!, Crucible Theatre, Sheffield, U.K., 1972.
- As You Like It (musical adaptation of Shakespeare's play), Cameri Theatre, Tel Aviv, Israel, 1973.
- Macbeth, Shaw Theatre, 1973.
- A Slight Ache, Royal Shakespeare Company, 1973.
- Tartuffe, Edinburgh Festival, Edinburgh, Scotland, U.K., 1974.
- Mind Your Head, Shaw Theatre, 1974.
- The Importance of Being Earnest, Shaw Theatre, 1974.
- The King, Shaw Theatre, 1974.
- The Comedy of Errors (musical adaptation), Cameri Theatre, 1975.
- Landscape, Cameri Theatre, 1975.
- A Slight Ache, Cameri Theatre, 1975.
- Twelfth Night, Sevriomennik, Moscow, Russia, 1975.
- Equus, Cameri Theatre, 1976.
- Three Sisters, Cameri Theatre, 1976.
- Chicago, Cambridge Theatre, London, 1979.
- Also directed over thirty productions for the Everyman Theatre, 1964- 70;directed No Good Friday, Nongogo, Charley's Aunt, Waiting for Godot, Dracula, As You Like It, Cabaret, Travesties, The Second Mrs.
- Tanqueray, Much Ado about Nothing, and Chicago, for the Crucible Theatre.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- Twelfth Night, National Theatre Company, U.K. cities, 1972.
Credits; FILM WORK; SET DECORATOR
- Young Winston, 1972.
- The Man Who Would Be King, 1975.