Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Ueli Steiger to Milt Tarver
John Swindells Biography (1931-)
"My main motivation is to serve the craft of acting and have the respect of my peers. In my circumstances, Luck has served me well, being in the right place at the right time! My favorite roles are Shylock in Merchant of Venice (I have yet to play it however) and Bri in Joe Egg. The journey and quality of Life is important--acting is but a part of Life."
- actor, director, playwright
- Birth Details
- June 22, 1931
- Liverpool, England
- Worked as a clerk for a shipping line for 12 years.
- Sgt. Cadwallader, The Unexpected Guest, Intimate Theatre, PalmersGreen, North London, England, 1964.
New York Debut
- Bonno/Swieten, Amadeus, Broadhurst, 1983.
- Rafe, Spring and Port Wine, Richmond, 1969.
Principal Stage Appearances
- In England appeared at: Theatre Royal, Margate, Salisbury Playhouse, Ludlow Shakespearean Open Air Festival, Grand Theatre, Wolverhampton, and the Mermaid Theatre in London, 1965-70; Saul Hodgkin, The Ghost Train, Atheneum, Plymouth, England, 1968; Duke of Norfolk, A Man for All Seasons, Opera House, Harrogate, 1969; in Canada appeared at: Shaw Festival, Ontario, Gryphon Theatre, Barrie, ON, Theatre New Brunswick, Bastion Theatre, Victoria,BC, and Stage West Regina; James Joyce, Travesties, St. Lawrence Center, Toronto, 1977; Deeley, Old Times, Phoenix, Toronto, 1978; Sidney,Absurd Person Singular, Theatre London, Ontario, 1979; Harry Trew, Pantomime, Geva, Rochester, NY, 1982; Bri, Joe Egg; Stephen Hench,Otherwise Engaged; Ernest, Bedroom Farce; Old Ekdal, The Wild Duck; Maxim, Rebecca; Chandebise/Poche, A Flea in Her Ear; Mr. Glass, Slow Dance on the Killing Ground; Sebastian, The Tempest; King of France, All's Well That Ends Well; one of the critics, Fanny's First Play; Touched, Wonderhorse, NY, 1982; BillyLiar, Westside Mainstage, NY, 1982; standby for co-lead, Beethoven's Tenth, Nederlander, 1984.
- Chandebise/Poche, A Flea in Her Ear, Canadian tour, Bonno, Amadeus, national tour, U.S., 1982-83; standby for co-lead, Beethoven's Tenth, national tour, U.S., 1984.
Principal Stage Work
- Directed--Spider's Web, England, 1968; in Canada: Spring and Port Wine, 1974; The Gingerbread Lady, 1975; Pygmalion, 1976; The Last of the Red Hot Lovers, 1977; The Secretary Bird,1977; Move Over Mrs. Markham, 1978; Time and Time Again, 1978;The Unexpected Guest, 1978; Come Blow Your Horn, 1978; Sleuth, 1979; The Bear, 1980; Showboat, 1981; Blithe Spirit, 1981. Served as artistic director for the Red Barn Theatre, Ontario, 1978.
- First technician, 2001: A Space Odyssey, 1969.
Principal Film Appearances
- Teacher, Ragtime Summer; Police Sgt., Nightmare Rally; Battle of Britain.
- Sgt. Ted Bowman, Z. Cars, BBC (3 years).
Principal Television Appearances
- Sgt. Ted Bowman, Coronation Street, Granada TV; Des O'Connor Show; Sidestreet, CBC (3 years); Swiss Family, Robinson; The FrankieHowerd Show.
- Woodbine Willie (with Robert Buck).
- Theatre-Related Career: Professor of Acting and Voice, University of Regina, SK, 1980-81.
Other articles you might like: