John Newton Biography (1925-)
Addresses: Home: 34 W. 65th Street, New York, NY, 10023; Agent: Hesseltine Baker & Associates, 165 W. 46th Street, New York, NY, 10036.
SIDELIGHTS: Mr. Newton, in addition to his Broadway and Off-Off Broadway roles, has performed with the major regional theatre companies including Pittsburgh Public Theatre, Actors Theatre of Louisville, Hartford Stage Company, Alley Theatre in Houston, TX, Virginia Stage Company, Seattle Repertory Company, and Great Lakes Shakespeare Festival. He is a licensed pilot, a chessbuff, a compulsive reader and a doting grandfather. Both of his sons are pursuing careers in the theatre.
- Birth Details
- November 11, 1925
- Grand Junction, Colorado
- Managed and starred in a melodrama company while attending Colorado College, 1946-49.
- Principal Stage Appearances
- Othello, Cherry Lane, NY, 1951; Weekend, NY, 1969; Cheever,The Crucible, Lincoln Center Repertory Company; Mitch, A StreetcarNamed Desire, Lincoln Center Repertory Company, and the 25th Streetcar Anniversary production in NY; Marshall of the Court, First Monday inOctober, NY; Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, two years, NY; Henry, Present Laughter, Circle in the Square (uptown), NY, 1982; The Rivals, Roundabout, NY; Candaules Commissioner, Chelsea Theatre Center, NY; Cyrano de Bergerac, York Players, NY; Glass Menagerie; Command Decision; Send Me No Flowers; Point of No Return.
- Major Tours
- Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, national company, 1982.
- Principal Film Appearances
- The Sentinel; The Satan Bug; This Rebel Breed; Man from the Diner's Club.
- Principal Television Appearances
- Camera 3; Robert Montgomery, Presents; Kaiser Aluminum Hour; Kraft Mystery Theatre; The Doctors; Gunsmoke; The Fugitive; That Girl; Voyage; F.B.I.