Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Robert Lantos to Steven Levitan
Bill Lee Biography (1928-)
Full name William James Edwards Lee; born July 23, 1928, in Snow Hill, AL; son of Arnold W. (a musician) and Alberta G. (a concert pianist) Lee; married Jacqueline Shelton (a teacher); children: Shelton Jackson (Spike).
- composer, musician
- Birth Details
- July 23, 1928
- Snow Hill, Alabama, United States
Credits; Film Work
- Music director and performer on the song "Nola," She's Gotta Have It (also see below), Island, 1986.
- Music conductor of Natural Spiritual Orchestra, School Daze (alsosee below), Columbia, 1988.
- Music conductor of Natural Spiritual Orchestra, Do the Right Thing(also see below), Universal, 1989.
- Music director, Mo' Better Blues (also see below), Universal, 1990.
Credits; Film Appearances
- Sonny Darling, She's Gotta Have It (also see below), Island, 1986.
- Bassist in the Phyllis Hyman Quartet, School Daze (also see below), Columbia, 1988.
- Father of the Bride, Mo' Better Blues (also see below), Universal,1990.
Credits; Stage Work
- (With Stuart Scharf) Music arranger, A Hand is on the Gate, Longacre Theatre, New York City, 1966.
Credits; Television Appearances
- Has appeared on the television show Today and Harry Belafonte television specials.
- Performed on The Descendants of Mike and Phoebe album A Spirit Speaks, on The Brass Company album Colors, on Glass Bead Games, and with Richard Davis on Philosophy of the Spiritual (Buddah) andand With Understanding (Muse).
Credits; Film Music
- Score, She's Gotta Have It, Island, 1986.
- Score, and songs "Straight and Nappy," "Be One," and "Wake Up Suite," School Daze, Columbia, 1988.
- Score, Do the Right Thing, Universal, 1989.
- "Mo' Better Blues" and "Again Never," Mo' Better Blues, Universal,1990.
- Composer of score for the short film Joe's Bed-Stuy Barbershop: We CutHeads.
Credits; Stage Music
- (Contributor) Yes, God is Real, Apollo Theatre, New York City, 1988.
- Composer of the operas The Depot, One Mile East, Baby Sweets, andThe Quarter, and the children's opera Little Johnny. Also composed The Rabbi, Monica, and Juan Valdez.