Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Peter McEnery to Gene Milford
Charles L. Mee, Jr. Biography (1938-)
Born September 15, 1938, in Evanston, IL; son of Charles Louis and Sarah (Lowe) Mee; married Claire Lu Thomas (an actress), June, 1959 (divorced, 1962); married Suzi Baker (a poet), November, 1962 (divorced); married Kathleen Tolan(a playwright), December, 1983; children: (second marriage) Erin, Charles; (third marriage) Sarah, Alice. Addresses: Agent--Lois Wallace, 177 East70th St., New York, NY 10021-5109.
- Birth Details
- September 15, 1938
- Evanston, Illinois, United States
- Players' Repertoire, Playwright's Theatre, Cambridge, MA, 1960.
- Constantinople Smith (one-act), Upstairs at the Downstairs, New York City, 1961.
- The Gate (one-act), Upstairs at the Downstairs, 1961.
- Three by Mee, Fourth Street Theater, New York City, 1962.
- Anyone! Anyone!, American Place Theatre, 1964.
- Vienna: Lusthaus, Music-Theatre Group/Lenox Arts Center, St.
- Clements, New York City, 1986.
- The Imperialists at the Club Cave Canem, New York Shakespeare Festival, 1988.
- The Investigation of the Murder in El Salvador, New York Theatre Workshop, 1989.
- Another Person Is a Foreign Country, The Towers, New York City, 1991.
- Orestes, American Repertory Theatre, Cambridge, MA, 1992.
- The Bacchae, Mark Taper Forum Festival of New Works, Los Angeles, CA, 1993.
- The War to End War, Sledgehammer Theatre, 1993.
- Agamemnon, Actors' Congress, 1994.
- Also author of The Constitutional Convention, the Sequel, 1988.
Writings;BOOKS FOR CHILDREN
- (With the editors of Horizon Magazine) Lorenzo de Medici and the Renaissance, American Heritage Press, 1968.
- The Horizon Book of Daily Life in Renaissance Italy, American Heritage Publishing, 1975.
- (With Ken Munowitz) Happy Birthday, Baby Jesus, Harper, 1976.
- (With Munowitz) Moses, Moses, Harper, 1977.
- (With Munowitz) Noah, Harper, 1978.
Writings;BOOKS FOR ADULTS
- (Translator with Edward L. Greenfield) Dear Prince: The Unexpurgated Counsels of N. Machiavelli to Richard Milhous Nixon, American Heritage Press, 1969.
- (Editor) Horizon Bedside Reader, American Heritage Press, 1971.
- White Robe, Black Robe, Putnam, 1972.
- Erasmus: The Eye of the Hurricane, Coward, 1973.
- Meeting at Potsdam, M. Evans, 1976.
- A Visit to Haldeman and Other States of Mind, M. Evans, 1977.
- Seizure, M. Evans, 1978.
- The End of Order: Versailles, 1919, Dutton, 1980.
- The Ohio Gang: The World of Warren G. Harding, M. Evans, 1981.
- The Marshall Plan: The Launching of the Pax Americana, Simon and Schuster, 1984.
- The Genius of the People, Harper, 1987.
- Rembrandt's Portrait: A Biography, Simon and Schuster, 1988.
- Playing God: Seven Fateful Moments When Great Men Met to Change the World, Simon and Schuster, 1993.
- Contributor to periodicals, including Smithsonian.
- Adaptations: Truman at Potsdam was adapted for television from the book Meeting at Potsdam, 1978; Seizure: The Story of Kathy Morris was adapted for television from the book Seizure, 1980.