Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Arthur Marks to John McEnery
Charles Maryan Biography (1934-)
Born December 30, 1934, in Chicago, IL; son of Harry Oliver (a doctor) and Hazel (an artist; maiden name, Sinniko) Maryan; married Sarah Sanders, February14, 1965 (divorced, 1972); married Lana Fritz (a costume designer), November20, 1983; children: Abigael. Addresses: AGENT--Ray Powers, Marje Fields Agency, 165 W. 46th Street, New York, NY 10036.
- Birth Details
- December 30, 1934
- Chicago, Illinois, United States
- FIRST STAGE WORK--Director, The Emperor Jones, Blue Angel, Chicago, IL, 1959, 40 performances.
- FIRST LONDON STAGE WORK--Director, The Typist and the Tiger, Globe, 1964.
- FIRST NEW YORK STAGE WORK--Director, Down in the Valley, Equity Library,1965. PRINCIPAL STAGE WORK; DIRECTOR Mercy Street, American Place, NY.
- Big Broadcast at 53rd, La MaMa E.T.C., NY.
- Let Them Down Gently, Theatre de Lys, NY.
- Playing with Fire, Counterpoint, NY.
- Hamlet, Everyman Company, NY.
- Algonquin Sampler, Joseph Jefferson, NY.
- Crazy Horse, New Federal, NY.
- The First Week in Bogota, Playwrights Horizons.
- Les Bavard, Lehman Center, NY.
- Also directed at these NY theatres: St. Clements; New Theatre; New Dramatists; Equity Library; Barr; Wilder; Albee; 78th Street Theatre Lab; Street Theatre; Circle Repertory; Directors' Lab.
- Regional: Plymouth Rock, Playing with Fire, Twelfth Night, Holiday, all California Actors Theater, 1978-79; Couple of the Year, Mostly Women, Episodeon an Autumn Evening, Algonquin Sampler, all White Barn Theatre; The Cage, Loretto Hilton, St. Louis, MO; Joe Egg, Hartford Stage Company, CT; Sweet Mistress, You Can't Take It with You, Broadway, Male Animal, Barter, Abingdon, VA;Also directed at these regional theatres: Circle Theatre, Kansas City, MO; Front Street, Memphis, TN; Theatre of the Living Arts, Philadelphia,PA; Virginia Museum Theater, Richmond, VA; Virginia Shakespeare Festival, Williamsburg,VA; Rhinebeck Summer Theatre; American Musical Theatre.
- Stock: Mule Barn Theatre, Tarkio, MO; Parker Playhouse, Fort Lauderdale,FL; Green Mansions Theatre, Warrenberg, NY.
- Educational: National Theatre Institute, Waterford, CT; Juilliard Schoolof the Theatre, NY; Neighborhood Playhouse, NY; American Academy of DramaticArt, NY; Yale School of Drama, New Haven,CT; Marymount College, NY; High School of the Performing Arts,NY; Purchase College, NY.
- Anne Sexton: the Artist and Her Critics.
- Reflections: The Poet on the Stage, Indiana University Press.
Other articles you might like: