Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Nicholas Selby to Marc Singer
Don Siegel Biography (1912-)
Born October 26, 1912, in Chicago, IL; married Viveca Lindfors (an actress),1948 (divorced, 1953); married Doe Avedon, 1957 (marriage ended); married Carol Rydall; children: one son (first marriage); Nowell, Anne, Katherine, Jack(second marriage). Addresses: OFFICE--Flekman, Carswell, Cohen & Company, 9171 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 530, Beverly Hills, CA 90210.
- Birth Details
- October 26, 1912
- Chicago, Illinois, United States
Credits; PRINCIPAL FILM APPEARANCES
- Pipe smoker at motel, Edge of Eternity, Columbia, 1959.
- short-order cook, The Killers, Universal, 1964.
- man in elevator, Coogan's Bluff, Universal, 1968.
- Marty the bartender, Play Misty for Me, Universal, 1971.
- Murph, Charley Varrick, Universal, 1973.
- cab driver, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, United Artists, 1978.
- doctor, Escape from Alcatraz, Paramount, 1979.
- embarrassed man, Into the Night, Universal, 1985.
- PRINCIPAL FILM WORK; ALL AS DIRECTOR,UNLESS INDICATED Art director, Casablanca, Warner Brothers, 1942.
- set director, Edge of Darkness, Warner Brothers, 1943.
- art director, Mission to Moscow, Warner Brothers, 1943.
- special effects director, Northern Pursuit, Warner Brothers, 1943.
- cinematographer, The Adventures of Mark Twain, Warner Brothers, 1944.
- Star in the Night (short film), Warner Brothers, 1945.
- Hitler Lives? (short film), Warner Brothers, 1945.
- The Verdict, Warner Brothers, 1946.
- The Big Steal, RKO, 1949.
- Night unto Night, Warner Brothers, 1949.
- The Duel at Silver Creek, Universal, 1952.
- No Time for Flowers, RKO, 1952.
- China Venture, Columbia, 1953.
- Count the Hours (also known as Every Minute Counts), RKO, 1953.
- Private Hell 36, Filmmakers, 1954.
- Riot in Cell Block 11, Allied Artists, 1954.
- An Annapolis Story, Allied Artists, 1955.
- Crime in the Streets, Allied Artists, 1956.
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Allied Artists, 1956.
- Baby Face Nelson, United Artists, 1957.
- Spanish Affair, Paramount, 1957.
- The Gun Runners, United Artists, 1958.
- The Lineup, Columbia, 1958.
- (also producer with Kendrick Sweet) Edge of Eternity, Columbia, 1959.
- Hound Dog Man, Twentieth Century-Fox, 1959.
- Flaming Star, Twentieth Century-Fox, 1960.
- Hell Is for Heroes, Paramount, 1962.
- (also producer) The Killers, Universal, 1964.
- (also producer) Coogan's Bluff, Universal, 1968.
- Madigan, Universal, 1968.
- (uncredited co-director) Death of a Gunfighter, Universal, 1969.
- Two Mules for Sister Sarah, Universal, 1970.
- (also producer) The Beguiled, Universal, 1971.
- (also producer) Dirty Harry, Warner Brothers, 1971.
- (also producer) Charley Varrick, Universal, 1973.
- (also producer) The Black Windmill, Universal, 1974.
- The Shootist, Paramount, 1976.
- Telefon, United Artists, 1977.
- (also producer) Escape from Alcatraz, Paramount, 1979.
- Rough Cut, Paramount, 1980.
- Jinxed!, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer/United Artists, 1982.
- Also directed Star in the Night (short), 1945, and Hitler Lives (short),1946.
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION APPEARANCES; SPECIALS
- All-Star Party for Clint Eastwood, CBS, 1984.
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION WORK; SERIES
- Producer, The Legend of Jesse James, ABC, 1965-66.
- Director, The Hanged Man, NBC, 1964.
- director, The Stranger on the Run, NBC, 1967.
- Producer, John Denver with His Special Guest George Burns: Two of a Kind,ABC, 1981.
- You Asked for It, syndicated, 1981.
Other articles you might like: