Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Jack Dabdoub to Anthony John Denison
Jim Dale Biography (1935-)
Born Jim Smith, August 15, 1935, in Rothwell, Northantshire, England; son ofWilliam Henry and Miriam Jean (Wells) Smith; married Patricia Gardiner. Addresses: AGENT--Harold Schiff, 555 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10017.
Favorite roles: Scapino and Petruchio.
- Birth Details
- August 15, 1935
- Rothwell, Northantshire, England
- STAGE DEBUT--Comedian, Savoy Theatre, Kettering, England.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE APPEARANCES
- William Dowton, The Wayward Way, Lyric Theatre, Hammersmith, England, 1954.
- Autolycus, The Winter's Tale, Edinburgh Festival, Scotland, then Cambridge, England, 1966.
- Burglar, The Burglar, Vaudeville Theatre, London, 1967.
- Bottom, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Edinburgh Festival, Scotland, then Saville Theatre, London, 1967. With the National Theatre Company, Old Vic, London: Barnet, The National Health, 1969, Nicholas, The Travails of Sancho Panza,1969, Costard, Love's Labour's Lost, 1970, Launcelot Gobbo, The Merchant ofVenice, 1970.
- at the Young Vic, London: Scapino, The Cheats of Scapino, 1970, Petruchio, The Taming of the Shrew, 1970.
- Old Vic, London: The Architect, The Architect and the Emperor of Assyria,1971, Mr. Lofty, The Good-Natured Man, 1971, and Kalle, The Captain of Kopenick, 1971. Denry Machin, The Card, Queen's Theatre, London, 1973.
- Petruchio, The Taming of the Shrew, Young Vic Company, Brooklyn Academy of Music, NY, 1974.
- title role, Scapino, Brooklyn Academy of Music, NY, Circle in the Square,NY, and Ambassador Theatre, NY, 1974.
- Gethin Price, Comedians, Mark Taper Forum, Los Angeles, CA, 1977.
- Terri Dennis, Privates on Parade, Long Wharf Theatre, New Haven, CT, 1979.
- title role, Barnum, St James Theatre, NY, 1979-81.
- A Day in the Death of Joe Egg, Promenade Theatre, NY, 1984, then LongacreTheatre, NY, 1985.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- Petruchio, The Taming of the Shrew, European cities, 1972.
- title role, The Music Man, U.S. cities, 1984.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE WORK
- Director, Scapino, Brooklyn Academy of Music, NY, Circle in the Square, NY, and Ambassador Theatre, NY, 1974.
Credits; PRINCIPAL FILM APPEARANCES
- Raising the Wind, 1961.
- Carry on Spying, Governor, 1965.
- Carry on Cleo, Governor, 1965.
- Lock Up Your Daughters!, 1969.
- Digby--The Biggest Dog in the World, 1974.
- Joseph Andrews, 1977.
- Pete's Dragon, Buena Vista, 1977.
- The Unidentified Flying Oddball, Buena Vista, 1979.
- Scandalous, Orion, 1984.
- Also, The Big Job; Carry on Cowboy; Carry on Screaming; The National Health.
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION APPEARANCES; MOVIES
- The Duke, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, PBS, 1985.
- Circus, CBS, 1986.
- "Georgy Girl," score, Scapino, Brooklyn Academy of Music, NY, Circle in the Square, NY, and Ambassador Theatre, NY, 1974.