Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Klaus Badelt to Christophe Beck
Antonio Banderas Biography (1960-)
Full name, Jose Antonio Dominguez Banderas; born August 10, 1960, in Malaga,Spain; son of Jose (a police officer) and Ana (a teacher) Banderas; married Ana Leza (an actress), c. 1986 (some sources cite 1988; divorced, 1996); married Melanie Griffith (an actress), May 14, 1996; children: (second marriage) Estela del Carmen. Education: National School of Dramatic Arts, Malaga,Spain, graduated, 1980. Addresses:
Agent-- Creative Artists Agency, 9830 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills, CA 90212-1825; Agents Associes, 201rue du Fauborg, Saint Honore, Paris 75008, France. Manager-- IndustryEntertainment, 955 Carrillo Dr., Suite 300, Los Angeles, CA 90048-5400. Publicist-- Huvane Baum Halls, Inc., 8383 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills, CA 90211-2410. Career: Actor, producer, and director. Green Moon (production company), partner. National Theatre of Spain, Madrid, worked as memberof ensemble. Awards, Honors: Goya Award nomination, best supporting actor, 1986, for Matador; Goya Award nomination, best lead actor, 1990,for Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!; Golden Apple Award, male discovery of theyear, Hollywood Women's Press Association, 1995; shared MTV Movie Awardnomination, best kiss (with Salma Hayek), 1995, for Desperado; GoldenGlobe Award nomination, best performance by an actor in a comedy or musical motion picture, 1996, for Evita; Goya Award nomination, best lead actor, 1996, for Two Much; chosen "one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world," People Weekly, 1996; European Film Awards, Audience Award and award nomination, outstanding European achievement in world cinema, GoldenGlobe Award nomination, best performance by an actor in a comedy or musicalmotion picture, Blockbuster Entertainment Award nomination, favorite actor inan action or adventure film, Lasting Image Award, Imagen Foundation, and shared MTV Movie Award nomination, best fight (with Catherine Zeta-Jones), all 1998, for The Mask of Zorro; ALMA Award, outstanding director of a feature film, European Film Award, outstanding European achievement in world Cinema, and Golden Lion Award nomination, Venice Film Festival, all 1999, for Crazy in Alabama; ALMA Award, outstanding actor in a feature film, 1999,for The 13th Warrior; honorary D.Arts, Dickinson College, 2000. Addresses: Agent: Creative Artists Agency, 9830 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills, CA 90212-1825; Agents Associes, 201 rue du Fauborg, Saint Honore, Paris 75008, France.; Manager: Industry Entertainment, 955 Carrillo Dr., Suite 300, Los Angeles, CA 90048-5400.; Publicist: Huvane Baum Halls, Inc., 8383 WilshireBlvd., Beverly Hills, CA 90211-2410.
- Actor, producer, director
- Birth Details
- August 10, 1960
- Malaga, Spain
Y del seguro ... libranos senor!1982
- Sadeq, Laberinto de pasiones,1982 released in the United States asLabyrinth of Passion, Cinevista, 1990
- Eduardo, El Senor Galindez,1983
- Alberto, Los zancos(also known as The Stilts), 1984
El caso almeria,1984
- Paco, Requiem por un campesino espanol,1985
Caso cerrado, Tango Producciones, 1985
- Friar Jose, The Court of the Pharaoh(also known as Pharaoh's Court and La corte de faraon), Line Films, 1985
- Rafa, 27 horas(also known as 27 Hours and Veintisiete horas), Elias Querejeta, 1986
- Angel Gimenez, Matador, Andres Vicente Gomez, 1986
Delirios de amor,1986
- Antonio Benitez, Law of Desire(also known as La ley del deseo), Cinevista, 1987
- Damian, Asi como habian sido(also known as The Way They Were), Multivideo ALPC, 1987
- Antonio, Baton Rouge, Modigil, 1988
El placer de matar(also known as The Pleasure of Killing),Laurenfilm, 1988
- Carlos, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown(also known as Mujeres al borde du un ataque de nervios), Laurenfilm, 1988
- Alberto, Bajarse al moro(also known as Going South Shopping), 1988
- Marcos, Si te dicen que cai(also known as If They Tell You I Fell and Shoot!), 1989
- Juan, Contra el viento(also known as Against the Wind), 1990
- Ricky, Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!(also known as Atame!), Miramax, 1990
- Himself, Truth or Dare(also known as In Bed with Madonna and Madonna: Truth or Dare), Miramax, 1991
- Rosendo Juarez, "La otra historia Rosendo Juarez," Cuentos de Borges I(also known as Borges Tales, Part I and Borgia Tales, Part I), 1991
- Antonio, Terra nova(also known as New Land), 1991
La blanca paloma(also known as The White Dove), 1991
- Miguel, Una mujer bajo la lluvia(also known as A Woman in the Rain), 1992
- Nestor Castillo, The Mambo Kings, Warner Bros., 1992
- Miguel Alvarez, Philadelphia, TriStar, 1993
- Pedro, The House of the Spirits(also known as Aandernes hus,
A casa dos espiritos, and Das Geisterhaus), Miramax, 1993
- Marcos Vallez, Outrage(also known as Shoot,
Dispara!and Spara che ti passa), A-pix Entertainment, 1993
- Benito Mussolini, Il Giovane Mussolini(also known as A Man Named Benito and Joven Mussolini), 1993
- Francisco Leal, Of Love and Shadows(also known as De amor y desombras), Miramax, 1994
- Armand, Interview with the Vampire(also known as Interview withthe Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles and The Vampire Chronicles),Warner Bros., 1994
- Antonio, Miami Rhapsody, Hollywood Pictures, 1995
- El Mariachi, Desperado, Columbia/TriStar, 1995
- Tony Ramirez, Never Talk to Strangers, Imperial Entertainment, 1995
- Miguel Bain, Assassins(also known as Day of Reckoning), Warner Bros., 1995
- Man, "The Misbehavers," Four Rooms, Miramax, 1995
- Art Dodge/Bart, Two Much(also known as Loco de amor), BuenaVista, 1995
- Che, Evita, Buena Vista, 1996
- Himself, Fiderikusz Sandor es vendegei,1996
- Alejandro Murrieta/Zorro, The Mask of Zorro, TriStar, 1998
Andrew Lloyd Webber: The Royal Albert Hall Celebration, PolyGram Video, 1998
- Ahmed Ibn Fadlan, The 13th Warrior(also known as Eaters of theDead), Buena Vista, 1999
- Cesar Dominguez, Play It to the Bone(also known as Play It), 1999
Original Sin, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, 2000
- Morales Pittman, The White River Kid,2000
- Matt, The Body, Behaviour Entertainment, 2000
- Also appeared in the film La mujer de tu projimo: La mujer feliz.
- Director, Crazy in Alabama, Columbia, 1999
- Director, Malaga Burning: An American Woman's Eyewitness Account of the Spanish Civil War(also known as Malaga Burning), 2000
- Producer, Forever Lulu, Millennium Films, 2000
- Executive producer, The White River Kid,2000
Grand Avenue, HBO, 1996
- Interviewee, "Tom Hanks: Hollywood's Golden Boy," Biography, Arts and Entertainment, 1997
- Song performer, "Oh What a Circus," Andrew Lloyd Webber 50th BirthdayCelebration, PBS, 1999
- Presenter, The 66th Annual Academy Awards Presentation, ABC, 1994
The 1996 NCLR Bravo Awards,1996
- Presenter, The 54th Annual Golden Globe Awards,1997
- Presenter, The 70th Annual Academy Awards, ABC, 1998
- Presenter, The 55th Golden Globe Awards,1998
The 1999 ALMA Awards,1999
- Presenter, The 57th Annual Golden Globe Awards,2000
The 5th Annual ALMA Awards,2000
- Presenter, The 72nd Annual Academy Awards Presentation,2000
Clive Anderson All Talk,1999
Other Television Appearances
- Antonio, La mujer de tu vida: La mujer feliz,1988
Cable TV, March, 1998 , pp. 18-19.
Cosmopolitan, November, 1996 , p. 234.
Entertainment Weekly, October 6, 1995 , p. 22.
Harper's Bazaar, August 6, 1995 , p. 150.
Interview, May 6, 1990 , pp. 114-19.
Movieline, August 6, 1998 , pp. 44-51, 84-85, 95.
Newsweek, September 4, 1995 , p. 58.
People Weekly, April 1, 1996 , p. 114.
Starlog, August 1, 1998 .
Other articles you might like: